Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cecil Roberts prize

Mundella School » Mainly for pupils in the 1950s » Cecil Roberts prize « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Renico11
Username: Renico11

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, November 11, 2010 - 08:12 pm:   

To Alistair Stead , I observed your reference to Bernice Gordon as holder of the CR Prize , I last saw her when she was working as a Librarian after graduation from Uni at Nottingham City Library about 1960. Do you or other old Mundellians have any contact details for her or Kieth Vineyard (Vinerd?) , Robert Ayres, or Brenda Stevens, 1949- 1954/57. We all joined Mundella together from the same Primary School. Also an ex scholar who I have met abroad David Decker would also be interested to have news of her. He joined the school after I left when his parents moved into the area and I understand he was in our or adjacent class year and a friend of Bernice
I moved to a County School in 1951 from Class 2S and then joined WBGS and later have spent many years working around the UK for the then CEGB and
abroad, but have always kept contact with Nottingham

Thanks
Trevor Nicholas

Alistair Stead

Posted on Tuesday, August 12, 2003 - 03:41 pm:   

I was the first male winner of the Cecil Roberts Prize inaugurated in 1956 (Bernice Gordon won the top girl's prize). Cecil Roberts himself visited the School and on Speech Day in the Albert Hall made a speech and, incidentally, crowned me Bard of the Eisteddford (which had been organised by our Welsh teacher of English, Mr.Jones).[Were there any more Eisteddford's after 1956?] With my Travel Award I went to Rome, my first trip abroad, and loved it. I wrote a very pretentious account of my experiences for Cecil Roberts(not required, just a courtesy) and he responded with a very charming, appreciative postcard. At the time I had read several of the writer's travel books (what a swot!) but I had enjoyed reading his 'Nottingham' novel,'A Terrace in the Sun', best because it gave a glimpse of where he (and I) had come from. Well, I came from lower down than he. The rest of the fiction is very light fare and he is best as an anecdotalist rather than a novelist. Later in life I came across his 'straight' memoirs and found much of interest but wearied eventually of the name-dropping (he managed to 'know' everybody, it seemed, even me, although not by name in the book...). I was interested to read in Richard Brown's contribution that Roberts had returned to the School in the 60s and that the Award continued to be made for so long. I have been eternally grateful to Roberts for his imaginative gift to the School and the part he has played in my development.

Mark Forsyth

Posted on Thursday, November 21, 2002 - 12:54 am:   

I was one of about 5 who recieved some money from the Cecil Roberst Travel prize as a 5th year in 77,and went and cycled round Holland on my bike for about 10 days. I must say I thougth we were the last lot, and that was why about 5 of us recieved some money.
Unless some-one knows otherwise

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, November 20, 2002 - 04:25 am:   

The Cecil Roberts Travel Prizes were awarded every year until Mundella School closed in 1983, although after the 6th form was closed in 1976 holidays tended to be taken within Great Britain. In 1983 the Endowment was rolled into the funds of the new Wilford Meadows School, and the Mundella Trustees were involved for quite some time making decisions about its final use.

David Freemantle

Posted on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 - 01:21 am:   

Does anybody remember the Cecil Roberts Prize competition? This was held annually, in the form of a General Knowledge exam, and the winner was awarded a sum of money to be spent on a holiday in Europe. It all started around 1956, as a result of a bequest left to the school by Cecil Roberts, a former pupil
I was fortunate enough to be one of the early winners, and wondered if the competition carried on until the school closed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page