Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

John Todd via webmaster

Mundella School » Mainly for pupils in the 1960s » John Todd via webmaster « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew Cole

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:43 pm:   

Mr. Todd,
I remember the name well but the face draws a blank. I was a total disaster at french and shocked the hell out of you whenever I got more than 20 percent correct. I guess that technical english (with respect to electronics talk) was my strength. You mention Mrs Houseman, now there was a hive for gossip (a certain biology teacher comes to mind!!) But she looked and acted the part of a titled Lady. Please feel free to contact me here in Australia.
Rgds Andrew

John Brown Hovis (Unregistered Guest)

Posted on Saturday, February 22, 2003 - 05:59 am:   

Toddy!
How absobloodylutely fantastic to hear from a true blast from the past.
Sadly I was never in your group; Joe Ormston was my main man,an inspiration, and it saddens me to hear of his demise.

You two guys gave a totally new meaning to the word "camp" at a time when it used to mean a field full of tents!
Good to hear you're still doing well....
Best Regards,
Hovis

Richard Brown

Posted on Friday, December 06, 2002 - 01:44 am:   

I remember it as:
"Surely you can't send a knight out on a dog like this!"

David Miller

Posted on Thursday, December 05, 2002 - 06:12 pm:   

Toddy!! It is great to hear from you. I remember your Lambretta too, and didn't you have a 2CV at one stage? Or was that the delectable French Assistante (definitely the e-business!) who wore very short skirts and insisted on sitting on the desk at the front facing the class and crossing her legs?

Speaking of frustration, I remember Dolly saying to a group of us guys in a 6th Form Applied Maths class that she knew what she wanted but couldn't get it, and could any of us help her? she might have been speaking about solving an equation but none of us was prepared to take a chance.

I don't remember the gift from Austria. Perhaps my mum thought that it would improve my (or her) chances. Was it worth much? If so, have you finished with it? All donations are gratefully received.

Thanks for some very enjoyable French lessons. do you still tell that story that ends "It's a bad dog to send a knight out on"?

Stay in touch.

Bryan Todd

Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 09:37 pm:   

Webmaster received this from Mr Todd:

bryuk@ntlworld.com

Many thanks for your reply....

Do you remember Doreen Morley, Chris and Mike Nies and a David Miller who brought me a souvenir back from his holiday in Austria, not an apple for the teacher. Still vaguely in touch with Christine Miles.....

Yes I did share a flat over an undertaker's on Robin Hood Street..... dead centre of Sneinton!!!

Shared it with Joe Ormston who sadly died a couple of years ago......

If you wish to add my name and email to any of your site lists please do so ... always pleased to hear voices from the past...

By the way, did you know that on one occasion Mrs Houseman (with or without and "e"?) once announced in the men's staffroom that we had to report to her any girl we suspected of wearing a black bra!!!!!

I was introduced to Dolly Onions as being "fresh" from University when I first arrived at Mundella. She said, " I'm fresh too, but not from University!!!" I adore the occasional nostalgia sandwich!!

Bye for now

Bryan Todd

Richard Brown

Posted on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 - 07:00 am:   

How inconvenient showing up on two pages!
I posted this in the '50's slot but I think it belongs here.

Chaqun a son gout!

Oh yes M. Todd,
I certainly remember you, how could I forget. You were my form teacher in 1T (Todd) and 2 Lower, 1958/9 and 1959/60. You worked hard on my French but it was an uphill battle! Let's see, there was your trendy hairstyle, your Lambretta and especially your priceless shaggy dog stories. You were also a jazz fan and I too enjoyed Brubeck, but you were the first person to ever mention Theolonyous Monk to me, many thanks!
[As already mentioned] We were hoping to get in touch with you earlier this year to attend our big reunion, it was a great success due to 2 things, Cynthia's (nee Snaith) tireless efforts and all the great people who showed up.
Whatever happened to your old mate (Uncle) Joe Ormston? He was my form teacher in the third year. You guys were just great. - and I don't say that about ALL the staff at Mundella!
Drop me a line, I'd love to hear from you.
very best wishes,
Richard Brown...

Malcolm

Posted on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 - 02:31 am:   

I certainly remember "Toddy" but am equally certain he doesn't remember me !
He was my first French teacher at Mundella (1W 1959-60) and under his guidance I actually did quite well. "Good. A promising start" in February 1960 was followed, slightly ominously, by "Quite good, though sometimes careless" as JBT put it in the July report.
I can even remember the first French lesson he gave to 1W. Standing in front of an outline of France he had drawn on the blackboard, Mr Todd asked "Who has been to France ?". Having passed though the country at night on a train en route to Switzerland I very foolishly stuck up my hand. "Yes boy and where, in France, have you visited ?". Onset of panic, I couldn't say "I don't know sir" and could only remember peering from the halted train and reading "Lille" on a station sign. Knowing absoluely nothing of French pronunciation I replied "I've been to "Lil" sir". "Lil ? Lil !!!" declared Toddy "would that be "Diamond Lil" or some other woman of your acquaintance". Blushes for me and gales of laughter round the class.
Whenever Lille is mentioned it always reminds me of my first encounter with Toddy.

Sadly I didn't get Toddy after the first year and his funless successors charted my subsequent Frankish Failings - "Disappointing..." "Rather poor..." "Not good enough..." were some of the more positive assessments.

However, finally knuckling down, I did manage to get a "C" in French O Level and have enjoyed many cross Channel holidays on which, to my childrens' amazement, I have been able to converse freely with gendarmes, agents, pompiers, douaniers and their ilk.

Thanks Toddy you certainly made French fun and for sure you planted a seed of interest and knowledge of the language in me.

Hope you are having a happy and healthy retirement - and to echo Cynthia Harrison (Snaith as was) let's see you at the next reunion of the 59/64-66ers.

Cynthia

Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 11:16 pm:   

Sorry about the 'fabulous', followed almost immediately by 'fabulous'. I really must read these things through before I submit them, and find some alternative adjectives! (Rings a bell with regard to homework etc! I clearly haven't improved over the years.)

Cynthia Snaith

Posted on Monday, November 25, 2002 - 04:04 am:   

Hello Mr Todd,- Bryan, (we never knew you as John!)

I am delighted to see you have made contact, but so disappointed that it is too late for the fabulous reunion party we had in September. It was attended by 127 including 'Jake' - Mr Jacobs.

We had a fabulous time and raised £425 for Cancer Research UK in memory of Chris Nies and Penny Radford. There were so many there who you would have remembered and who would have loved to have seen you again. If you look in the 60s section, you will see a page devoted to our reunion party (for the year 1959-64/66) and there you will find a list of the attendees. I am sure you will recognise loads of names.

We intend to repeat the event in 2004 and we must make sure that you are at that one. Please could you email me by clicking on my name at the top of this posting and I will put you in my Mundella address list for the 2004 event, and send you some of the super photos we have from the 2002 extravaganza. You will struggle to recognise most of us as we are now 54/55, and when you last saw us as a group we were 15!!

I managed to find you when Chris died over 20 years ago, but when trying again for the reunion I was unsuccessful.

You were form teacher for my class in the year before you left, and we were all so sad when you went. You had made French such fun, and we all thought you were great!

Please make email contact.

Regards, Cynthia

webmaster

Posted on Sunday, November 24, 2002 - 11:46 pm:   

Hi there

Just taken a walk down memory lane looking at the Gallery photos.

Is there anyone out there who remembers me?

John Bryan Todd (probably Toddy or even worse!)

Joined the Staff in September 1957 to teach French and left at Easter 1963 to move to Mansfield Woodhouse.

Worked with Maurice Taylor, Bert Holbrook etc under two headteachers Stevens and Moody.

Many happy memories and regards to all those pupils who may still remember me .

B Todd

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page