Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

For those in the year 1959-64/66

Mundella School » Mainly for pupils in the 1960s » For those in the year 1959-64/66 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Andrew_cole
Username: Andrew_cole

Post Number: 7

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, May 21, 2008 - 02:08 pm:   

Hi all, the Friends Re-united site is now free. About time too.

Andrew Cole
Unregistered guest

Posted on Thursday, April 06, 2006 - 03:35 am:   

I have recently been able to update my free information on the `Friends Reunited` website, including a couple of photos if you wish to have a look.

Andrew Cole

Posted on Sunday, August 14, 2005 - 05:13 pm:   

Malcolm et all, it is great to see that this site is not stagnant. Fantastic to catch up with you but I still have not got an image. I am working at finding any photos of that era and digitise them. I will also get two photos of me side by side, then and now, probably both with a model aircraft or guitar in hand!!. I am absolutely amazed at what my brain is doing at the moment because, maybe due to shock, war service etc, I have lost the connections or pathways to remember even recent events. I was councelled to start with images, if I could find them, but these lost names are starting to create the images which are starting to kick off memories of events. This is fantastic therapy for me and I thank all who are attempting to do something similar. There is nothing worse than to go through life knowing that there is so much just sitting there on the edge of recall. I have recently stopped hiding this fact and it appears to be working for me.
I would appreciate any written or digital corespondence and photos to help in my quest. Email me for my postal address.
Regards Andrew Cole.

Malc

Posted on Saturday, August 13, 2005 - 06:38 am:   

Hi there Andy Cole. I remember you well as the blond Antipodean giant who joined us direct from Bondi Beach (or so it seemed) in about September 1960. You lived on Oakdale Road near the "Oakdale" public house. I recall going to your house on a few occassions as I was "into" model aircraft at the time, as were you.
I think we changed forms and sort of lost touch but I can remember you joining the Royal Navy along with a lad called Paul Dixon who was in my form up to '64. I think you and Dicko went on some sort of visit to ? Plymouth to see if the "Life on the Ocean Wave" had appeal - I guess it did.
As for me, I thought I was going to be a professional soccer player until I got injured when still at school (March '63 against Becket). Then thought I was going to be a professional musician (the all Mundellan band called "Lost" 64-68. Finally ended up as a Civil Servant which I still am.
Viv Rowe was in my class. I exchanged e-mails with her a couple of years ago. She and I shared an appreciation of Screaming Lord Sutch and went to see him together a few times. A lovely girl indeed she was, but there were three of us in the relationship and I lost out to his lordship.
Nice to read your postings cobber

Andrew Cole

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 05:56 pm:   

Hi all again. Just some more memories. There was a Vivienne Rowe with whom I took ice skating once. I think I fancied her for a few short moments. Then there was a good friend Sandra, who had thick lensed glasses. We never went out but we were mates at school. Crosby was in a higher class than me but he was one of those who came backstage to play and sing.
I now have an image of Penny Radford in my head. Very studious. Nigel Groome was one of our rowing crew. I will try to email direct to Foxy and Nigel.
Rgds Andrew Cole (elocwerdna@hotmail.com)

Andrew Cole

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 08:04 pm:   

Hi All, have just found this site and recognise some of you. I was the tall streak who was mad about model aircraft, electronics and playing folk music, at the Jules et Jim I recall. I used to play backstage during lunchtime a lot. I recall Foxy, Rowena White and Cynthia Snaith and have kept in contact with Kathleen (Hacket) and Stephen Porter. I was in the same class as Rowena along with an Anne, Margret, `Pip (who was also our cox for the clinker four boat) and several other faces who I can`t put names to. I would like to catch up with any of my class or any in the rowing crew. I joined the RN in January 1964 and you may recall me visiting and sitting in on a class about the middle of 1964, that was the last time I have seen any of you all. My sister Janet has kept in contact with some in her class and has been back there from Australia to see them. I transferred to the RAN and saw war service on HMAS Perth. I am now teaching aviation electronics and radio at RAAF Wagga. I get a great feeling of anticipation from Fox`s comments. I feel a reunion rising from the ashes. By the way, I still sing and play and continue to recite that dreaded poem that Mrs. Winfield forced us to learn via several detentions, `The Ice Cart`, which starts `Perched on my City office stool, I watched in envy while a cool and lucky carter handled ice,` etc etc. I thank her from the bottom of my heart for that because it has helped feed me on occasion. I look forward to hearing from you.

PAUL LUCAS

Posted on Sunday, July 18, 2004 - 05:55 am:   

Hello Peter Madgwick. Reading your messages I recognised one name - Elizabeth Wood - she lived on my street - Holborn Avenue, Sneinton - she was a very artistic person and later had her own studio somewhere in semi-rural Nottinghamshire selling her wonderful creations. Another person who lived on my street was Mr Fitzmaurice - bus inspector! Remember him? Also - do you recall my brother -Peter Lucas - also a Mundellan? I have worked in and around the bus industry myself for the past 30 years - I am currently Head of Bus Services at GMPTE, Manchester. It would be good to hear more from you.....

Elaine Stainsby

Posted on Wednesday, October 22, 2003 - 06:54 pm:   

Oct 22nd 2003
Just in case any one would like to email me,my new email address is elainekilby@aol.com

Elaine Stainsby Kilby

Posted on Saturday, October 26, 2002 - 08:19 pm:   

I've put a couple of messages on "Name that Face" page.Thought I'd put something on here too.I remember Andrew Tollyfield,Julian Davies,Steve Wright(I believe he changed his name and used to write the script for "Coronation Street")Cynthia Snaith,Annette Teasdale,Nicolina Shipcott,Marilyn Torz,Valerie Snell,Sue Ward,Marion Powell.In fact some of us are on the biology lab photo on this site - I'm the one holding the sign saying "UZ".I've just realised that I've already written about the biology photo somewhere else on this site - I wonder where it went!I went to the reunion in September that Cynthia Snaith kindly organised.It was a real trip down memory lane.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, June 26, 2002 - 02:12 am:   

so its you cs seeyou at tthe party

Marilyn Lee

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 06:42 am:   

Hi this is Marilyn (Torz),
Reading through all these messages makes me wonder whether I was actually invisible all those years. I remember a lot of names but not many faces. Does anybody remember me? I am still in touch with Annette (Teasdale) and Carol (Smith). I do remember Penny Radford who sadly passed away. I also remember Rowena (White). I have awful memories of the showers, exams and Miss Onion's maths class however I have fond memories of Mr Hallem's music lessons and singing in the choir.

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 06:07 am:   

Dear Peter,
I too wasted my school days(for reasons beyond my control) but still made some sort of useful contribution later. Please do not deride yourself for working on the buses.
The fact that you have held down a difficult worthy job for nearly 30 years, providing a service, paying taxes etc, says something for you.
Hope you find your old mates.

PETER JOSEPH MADGWICK

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:28 am:   

Sorry forgot to give my E-Mail address for contact b.madgwick@ntlworld.com

Hope to hear from you all soon. xxx

PETER JOSEPH MADGWICK

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 02:24 am:   

Hi, my name is Peter Madgwick. I attended Mundella 1961-66.I stumbled across the website recently and have been avidly reading all the contents with great relish. A lot of the names of pupils in my year have become rather sketchy but those I do recall I have listed below and would be delighted to hear from to see what sort of career they have chiselled out of life. Personally I wasted my excellent education and have been stuck driving buses for Nottingham City Transport for the past 29 years.However here is the list of people I recall.

David Lawson,Barry Wright, Neil Swanwick, Paul Wilman,Michael Ball, Malcolm Turner, Michael Boyle, Roy Hardy, Andy Kirk , Richard Fry, Steve ? Simpson, Linda Benton, Elizabeth Wood, Barbara Hart,Malcolm Swift.

Sporting heroes at the time were Stuart Perkins, Richard Pallister,Phil Hardy, Dane Tuxford,Phil Holland

John Korna

Posted on Sunday, February 17, 2002 - 09:48 pm:   

Does anyone want any of the following posting on the website or sending to them?.

1. A two page spread from Notts Life of 1960 showing the school, the new library, the upper hall (with War memorial in its original place) and a photo of RR Stephens and about 1.5 pages of text.

The Nottingham Post's list of the 1964 GCE 'O' level results with names.
Ditto for the 1966 'A' level results with names and subjects taken.

John Korna

Posted on Tuesday, February 12, 2002 - 05:03 am:   

Found the Mundella website by a sheer fluke but glad to see so many slightly older fellow inmates are still around. Left the asylum in 1966 to study metallurgy(now called materials engineering) at Leeds University. Years in manufacturingindustry and still at it. Survived an attack of an incurable illness that nearly killed me.

One wife (30+ year sentence), 2 kids (now gone) and 2 cats(elderly).

Hope to see some of you at the proposed reunion later in 2002 and refresh memories.....

John Schofield

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 05:14 am:   

Hello Graham (Clarkson),reading the names you listed really brought back memories .I've been looking at the 64 photo trying to put names to faces and your list filled a lot of gaps for me.
I always felt a certain empathy with the Greenwood lads,coming from Manvers.
Like you I would love to know how the other people in our class are doing,perhaps we could all meet up at next years reunion.Anyway Graham I am delighted you have done so well and I hope we might meet sometime...John Schofield,jpschofield@hotmail.com

Graham Clarkson

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 01:55 am:   

I do remember John Schofield, geoff Love & Ewim Domanski who came from Manvers school to 6LSc.
I used to play in goal for the senior hockey team and also played in the mixed team with Leslie Chapman & Penny Radford.I would like to hear from or about the people in the following list:
Alex Regan,Melvin Dury,Joe Domeca,Gillian Hustwaite,Jill Osbourne,Colin Potts, Wilf Woolley,the Lynn twins,dave Phillips, Geoff Breffitt,John Hallett,Prof Vincent,Tas Sirrel, John Korna and Gordon Wareham.
Twid Twiddy, Bobby Holmes & Jammy James who played in the hockey team, also Shiela Stuart who played in the mixed hocket side.
Liz Cragg,Vivian Scott,Gillian Dickers Jeff? Notman who I knew whilst in my 3rd year in the 6th form.

Graham Clarkson

Posted on Tuesday, December 11, 2001 - 01:42 am:   

My 1st visit to the new site.
I came to Mundella in Sept.63 from Greenwood school to join 6 lower science, which had Dolly Onions in charge!!
I joined Air Traffic Control in Jan 1967, spent 3yrs training & qualified in Jan 70.I was posted to joint civil/military radar unit at RAF Lindholme near Doncaster, posted to Heathrow in June 77, moved with the approach radar facility in Nov. 93 to the London Centre in West Drayton.I trained onto Gatwick approachin 95 & became supervisor qualified in 96. I work on all 3 jobs as well as teaching trainee controllers to handle live traffic at Heathrow & Gatwick.
I would love to hear from anyone who remembers me frome either Mundella, Greenwood or Jesse Boot.

John Schofield

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 10:25 am:   

I couldn't sleep so I've been scanning old messages and came across one from Leslie Chapman.I am almost sure Leslie was in the 6th form with me although she probably wouldn't remember me.
I would love to hear from her
John Schofield,Mundella 63-65

John Schofield

Posted on Friday, November 30, 2001 - 11:37 am:   

Hello all,really enjoyed reading the messages although I can't see many names I know.
I came to Mundella 6th in 63 along with Geof Love and Ewin Domanski from Manvers.
The only name I Know is Duncan Macpherson probably because we rowed together

Rob Attenborough

Posted on Thursday, November 15, 2001 - 07:12 pm:   

Hi everyone. Someone just told me about this web
site, and I've just spent the last 2 hours reading
all your news - glad to see lots of names I remember from 40-odd years ago, but also saddened
by some of the news I read. I was at Mundella from 59-66.
After Mundella, I went to Manchester University to
read classics, then did a total switch, went into computers, and have worked for IBM ever since.
Now live in the small town of Alresford, near Winchester in Hampshire, have been married for 27 years, and have two childeren in their 20's.

I lost contact with everyone after I left Nottingham - If there is a reunion, would love to attend.

Kathleen Pinder nee Hackett

Posted on Thursday, November 01, 2001 - 04:40 pm:   

I have just discovered this great site and reading all the messages has brought back alot of memories. I was at Mundella from 1960-1965.
I would like to hear from anyone who remembers me.I live in Norfolk with my husband Tony, we have been married for 33 years, 2 kids and 2 granddaughters.

TONY GLEADELL

Posted on Saturday, October 27, 2001 - 05:27 pm:   

Hi! Tony Gleadell (GLED)
I was at Mundella 1959 -1966 and reading the messages its all coming back to me now, recollection is a funny thing. So many of the names are familiar and it will be great if we can all get together for the re-union next year. I see Mr Jacobson ((Jake) English teacher) in the Rose Grower pub in BRAMCOTE every Friday with his mates supping on his pints and playing the fruit machine, still in great form.

I worked abroad as an air traffic controller for about ten years, both my daughters (25 & 26 NOW) were born in Holland but I subsequently returned to Nottingham to do a full time degree in Psychology. Completed some research looking at stress in guided weapons operators and then had lots of part-time work and some consultancy stuff.

Since I`ve always been interested in sport I applied my new knowledge in that area and am currently working with the World Class Performance and Potential slalom canoe Squads at the National Watersports Centre here in Nottingham.

It would be nice to meet up with old friends so many names ring a bell, must try and find the old photos and remember a few more names. If anyone fancies a pint on a Friday night I am normally in the Rose Grower after 2130 following my Tai Chi class, thirsty work that is.

Ian Langley

Posted on Friday, October 05, 2001 - 04:46 pm:   

Hi everyone.I found this great site yesterday (via www.friendsreunited.co.uk)and imediately emailed Cynthia for more news.I was at Mundella from 1959 to 1966 and did sciences in the 6th.Just rummaged old photo albums and found panoramas for '61 and '64 (which I see are already on the website) and a group shot of the prefects of 65/66, which I will try and upload.There are others which I could be persuaded to leave in the attic,including the school trip to Lucerne in 1962 and the 'Famous Four' ( Peter Stemberg, David Fulwood, Ian Langley and the late Chris Nies) in Italy in 1965.
Once I've posted the prefects photo, I would welcome input on names.I know about half of the 22(Pete Stemberg,Steve Wright,Chris Nies,Melvyn Rae, Norman Froggatt,Andrew Tollyfield,Graham Pierce,Paul Beaumont,Freda Wilkins, Maria Kwoka, Nicky Shipcott and Cynthia, of course.)
After Mundella, I graduated from Southampton University, then to satisfy my wanderlust I took a job in South Africa.It was meant to be a short stay, but I got married, had 2 daughters ( now 25 & 27)and stayed 10 years.Back in the UK,I got divorced and eventually ended up as chairman of a group of engineering companies, before a wild change of career in 1999. I moved to Seattle and helped get an internet start-up company off the ground.I'm now semi-retired, living in Bournemouth.
I would love to hear from others in my year, particularly if anyone has contact with Baz Harwood, David Fulwood, Pete Stemberg or Brian Johnson. My email is ianl@aol.com

Julian Davies

Posted on Monday, September 24, 2001 - 04:16 am:   

Hello from Bournemouth.

I have worked in IT for most of the time since leaving Mundella. and now work for Unisys as a Technical Manager. It must be 25 years since we left Nottingham, and being a hopeless correspondent I have lost touch with everyone I knew there.

I am married to Margaret, who hails from Attenborough, and we have two very grown up children.

I have developed my interest in music and have learned to play the Church organ.

I only go back to Nottingham to see my parents who still live there. Last time I tried to find Mundella I got completely lost - seems like the whole area was flattened and redeveloped.

Very sorry to hear that Penny Radford is no longer with us - perhaps someone can tell me the story sometime.

And tell Nigel Groome I still want my ball back!

best wishes

Julian

Cynthia Snaith

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 04:18 am:   

Joan, I see that you have posted something on this message board and one for another year, in the hope of finding some of your contemporaries . Why not start a new one specially for your year and probably you will find others will add to it? It is great to see how quickly new messages appear. That way we won't end up with a mixture again.

Joan Simpkins

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 01:54 am:   

Hello! I'm Joan Simpkins, nee Jones. I was at Mundella from 1957 - 1964. I'd love to hear from any old friends. I now live near Hull, but visit Nottingham whenever I can.

nigel groome

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 02:51 am:   

I was at Mundella from 1962-1967 and it was a great education. From Mr Hawkesworth I got a love of Gilbert and Sullivan and chemistry which have lasted a lifetime. I was married for 27 years and have two children who are grown up. My wife and I divorced this year and I live in a flat looking over the Thames in Oxford. I am a Professor of immunology at Brookes University and do a lot of research developing new methods of measuring hormones in men and womens blood. I can remember particular friends as Derek Fry, Graham Piearce, Peter Tracey, Stephen Wright, and also Dave (?) Crosby, Dave Wardell etc I can remember a girl called Anne Coleman one called Elaine Stainsbury and one called Maureen Elston as well as Cynthia Snaith of course. I was pleased to hear about the reunion and will definitely not miss it.

George Cook

Posted on Thursday, August 23, 2001 - 07:03 pm:   

Hi Cynthia,
Great web-site. I was at Mundella from '59-64. I remember Derek Twiddy (saw him in UK 1996), Alan Altoft, Gordon Green, John Booth, John Withers, Graham Kershaw, Ronnie Cox, Baz Harwood, Dave Mosson, Keith Lowe, Peter Thompson, Malcolm Fox, Geoffrey 'Kingsize' Taylor, Martin Taylor, Joan Barsby, Lynn Moore, Carole Smith, Jean Allen, Ann Kirk, Sandra Bowman (same birthday).
Currently living in OZ, but put my name down for the reunion next year, I'll be there.

Jane Copley

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 11:38 pm:   

Cynthia has persuaded me to put something on the message board. I have to admit that I resorted to old copies of The Mundellan (which I have faithfully stashed away!) for more names. I can put faces to them, though. Apart from those already mentioned, others are Anne Coleman, Ann Mellors, D Wardle, Pete Stemberg, Dianne Coleman, Norman Froggatt, Glenys Taylor, Pete Attenborough, Dave? Vincent. Jane Copley (nee Clerbaut)

Glynn Lowth

Posted on Sunday, August 19, 2001 - 06:50 pm:   

Hi everyone - I've just found this site and it is impressive !! I briefly worked with Philip Davies (lived Wollaton) at Boots in the mid 80's, but have since lost contact. I also know that Melvyn Rae (who was head boy) dropped out of York Uni, and eventually went to live in Germany. Very sad to hear of Chris Nie, a smashing bloke. For my part I still live in the Nottingham area, am married with two exepnsive student daughters and now work in IT.

malcolm fox

Posted on Thursday, August 16, 2001 - 04:37 am:   

Cynthia et al.,
Just a quick few lines from me.
I think your proposal for a reunion is a great idea. No probs about the dosh up front or the venue - keep us posted.
The other day I as talking to a chap I know called Pat Smith. He is a retired head teacher and a soccer referee. I happened to mention that I was at Mundella 59-64 and he said his wife (Mrs Smith I guess) taught at the school (PE I think) at the time I was there. I can't recall her but he said she was big mates with Miss Greenwood (later Mrs. Marriott I think) who taught geography. I remember her as a very attractive lady which in itself was almost enough to get me to take Geog at O level - but not quite as I was crap at it (along with everything else !)
All for now
Malc Fox

Cynthia

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 06:07 pm:   

Okay, I give in. I will try to organise a reunion. If we do it, I think we should have a party night, with good buffet food and a DJ and all bring our partners. What about Autumn 2002 (possibly Sept 21st) at Morley Hayes between Heanor and Derby - not difficult to find, and a great place!)?

The cost would be £9.25 per person, plus the cost of the DJ. They can take up to 120 of us and don't mind us being vague about numbers, but they will want £250 deposit from me, so I would need to know you were serious about it!!

Are you interested and would you be willing to pay roughly £11? If the general response is in favour, I will set up a list under a separate title.

Duncan Macpherson

Posted on Wednesday, August 15, 2001 - 06:42 am:   

Hi Tony
Thanks for responding so promptly. You have given the game away now! I actually do have two webbed toes on each foot. It was the first thing Chris checked on Alexander when he was born to make sure he wasn't an alien like his Dad!
I think a reunion of the '64 - '66 era would be a good idea and will twist Cynthia's arm up her back!!
Have got the photo of '65 prefects scanned in and intend to send it to the webmaster (mistress?) to see if we can add some names. Cynthia and Les have been great so far and cracked a few but there are still some people out there need identifing!
Keep in touch or watch this space or something like that,
Good to hear from you again.
Mac (Duncan)

Cynthia

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 03:55 pm:   

My apologies to the chap I named as Simon Dodsley. His name was, of course, Tom Dodsley! It took Lynne Wilkinson to remind me of that, but I haven't yet persuaded her to post a message of her own!

Pete Brooks

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 04:36 am:   

Malcolm, have you got a photogtaphic memory or what!! Every time I read one of your postings its... "Oh yeah...!", "I remember him... and him!". Julian Davies and Andrew Tollyfield - weren't they the really clever ones? Didn't Alan Altoft "serve" in one of the "lower" forms at one time. I seem to remember sitting next to him (but my memory is obviously not very good). I reckon you must have a stash of old registers! Thanks for the email, by the way.
Thanks for your email, too, Cynthia. I didn't recognise anyone on the photo (except for Hawkeye), but then you're not exactly in school uniform are you! (That'll get them thinking!!)Incidentally, chemistry was the one GCE I failed. Hawkeye wrote so small, and I was too vain to wear glasses. I couldn't get any nearer the board either as I was already on the front row!

Tony Cross

Posted on Monday, August 13, 2001 - 10:28 pm:   

Mac, I remember you , you had webbed feet and swam like a torpedo and won Victor Ludorum several times. I too, met Baz Harwoodyears ago. His parents lived on Wollaton Road where my mother still kives. I think the jazz club you refer to was the Boat club where the Forest footbal ground is now.
Looks like Cynth is on the edge of organising a reunion....I can feel it coming on !
Tony Cross

duncan macpherson

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 03:20 pm:   

Cynthia's list of names includes a lot of my contemporaries. I landed on Mundella in '64 to join the 6th Form as a raw colonial from an all boys' school in Rhodesia (Zimbabwe) and, because of the different hemispheres etc I was older than most people and spoke with a funny accent (gone now!!).
Girls at school were a new experience and I was rather shy and took a while to settle in but did become a Prefect and was Head Boy with Freda Wilkins as Head Girl.
Have a photo of the prefects in '65 which I will find and post on the website so people can put names to faces.
I also have a photo of a scene from "Taming of the Shrew" ('65?) in which I played Baptista and Stephen Wright (Lowe) played Petruchio. Anyone out there remember that? It started an interest in AmDram though which I have retained through the years and I'm currently Secretary of Farnworth Little Theatre www.flt.org.uk which has a pretty good reputation locally.
I went to Necastle University and then was commissioned into the RAF but left after 8 years to join civvy street (with hindsight not a good move!) and then had a succession of "careers" until I had one redundancy too many in my early 40's and bought a Post Office. Realised too late it was not a good idea to work for govt. funded organisations!!
Now work as a freelance subpostmaster around Bolton area having sold mine after 5 years. It is less hassle and pays better.
Live near the Reebok Stadium so if Forest get back to the Premier Division (and Bolton Wanderers manage to stay in it this time!) anyone visiting for a match is welcome to call in.
Have only really kept in touch spasmodically with Stephen Wright who invited Chris and I to his 50th birthday bash which was a night to remember (met Josie Lawrence!!)
Other names I recall are Dave Phillips who I rowed with at school and Julian Millett who, Steph tells me is now wealthy and lives in Israel.
Saw Baz Harwood, once, years ago in Liverpool but have lost touch since. Does he live in London now?
I too heard about Chris Nies at the time from Steph. Nice bloke.
The reunions sound like a good idea, but will have to dig out my Nottingham map to find the pub. The Roebuck was not one of our haunts.It will be a good excuse to viit Nottingham again.
I seem to remember we spent most of our time in the snooker hall or a little jazz club that Stephen knew (can't remember where it was) where we listened to live jazz, ate mushy peas with mint sauce and watched grainy black and white porn movies! It was a real revelation for a colonial boy.
Anyway if anyone remebers "Mac" it would be nice to make contact again.

Malcolm Fox

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 04:50 am:   

Hi Everyone
This is a return visit for me and my first in the new format - which I reckon is ok.
I thought I would add some more '59 starter names. Lower 5th of '64 first, not repeating those earlier mentioned - Peter Brookes (I remember you, you were really very very quiet), Julian Davies, Andrew Tollyfield, Alan Robinson, Raymond "Spike" Pyke (where are you my old Meadows buddy ?), Mick Court, Maggie Walker, Glenys Coker (introduced me to her very attractive best friend, who stood me up on the first date - wise girl !!) and Nigel Groome (who, with his ubiquitous briefcase, once fell spectacularly from a number 43 trolley bus).
I am in e-mail touch with Annette Teasdale (as was) and Mick Court (as is). I am also about to ring Mick Brown to arrange a drink. Over the past twenty years I have clapped eyes on Alan Hankinson, Derek Fry and I think I have seen Bill Morell at Forest matches.
From the other 64 fifth forms I remember Tony Gleadell, Gordon Green, John Mabbutt and Philip Bishop (all Meadows lads). Also John Shaw, Graham Kershaw, Keith Lowe, William "Swill" Clarke, Gordon Wareham, Tim Holt, John James, Dave Mosson (great footballer), Derek Cook, the late Chris Nies, Alan Altoft, Kathleen Backen (who's parents kept a toy shop on Arkwright Street), Cynthia Snaithe, and Freda Wilkins.
From the 65 fifth form I have recently seen Tim Disney, Anna Rowat and Jenny Hendry (as were).
I will try and drag up some more names.
But finally for now, who remembers the "ball on the bike shed roofs" games ?
Malcolm "Fred" Fox

Pete Brooks

Posted on Wednesday, August 08, 2001 - 01:46 am:   

Hello Cynthia, I doubt whether you'll remember me. I was chronically shy and decided to serve my sentence in self-imposed solitary confinement, escaping in 1964 at the first possible moment! Finding this site has been like delayed therapy - tho' they say I'm quite normal now! It's amazing how many names have surfaced from the subconcious. I was in 1W, then 2 to 5 Lower. Do these ring any bells?
Paul Dixon, Bill Morrell, Alan Hankinson, David Fulwood, Maureen Elston, Ann Coleman, Elaine Stainsby, Annette Teasdale, Kenneth Sargent Vivienne Rowe, Valerie Snell, Fred Fox?
I must admit, I'd forgotten most of them until I browsed through the old guestbook. I remembered one or two of the names you mentioned, particularly Penny Radford. Sounds like a sad story.
I always said I knew so few people I could have my school reunion in a telephone box - but who knows?

Cynthia Snaith

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 05:58 pm:   

People I remember: Linda Wright, Lynne Wilkinson, Gloria Brown, Ann Sheard, Sheila Hunt, Sheila Stuart, Nikki Shipcott, Penny Radford (sadly no longer with us), Jane Clerbaut, Irene Rasen, Jennifer Line, Marion Powell, Kathleen Backen, Graham Pearce, Chris Nies (unfortunately died over 20yrs ago), Ian Langley, John Mabbott, Melvyn Rea, John Bishop - Bish, Paul Beaumont, William Clarke (WC), Tony Crosby, Tony Cross, Stephen Wright, Derek Cooke, Brian Johnson, Simon Dodsley.
Please add to this list!

Cynthia Snaith

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 02:04 am:   

I look forward to reading the messages from anyone in the same year as me. Cynthia Harrison (Snaith)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page