Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

BBC TV "That'll teach 'em"...

Mundella School » General Chat » BBC TV "That'll teach 'em" « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Barrie Truman

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Friday, November 21, 2003 - 01:08 am:   

Just got around to reading the reviews of the TV series. Although Mundella was not a boarding school I think that it reflected very well the attitudes of the 50's. I was at Mundella from 1947-1953 and one thing missing was the punishments received. Most of the then teachers would probably be banned from teaching today. A clip round the ear or a flying blackboard duster (with a hard back) was the least that could be expected. There was also a very strong discipline. If we were travelling on a bus and didn't give up our seat then because of the uniform we were immediately reported and called out during morning assembly. I don't think that most of us suffered too much from this.

Bob Woolsey

Posted on Monday, August 11, 2003 - 06:25 pm:   

If things really are getting easier all the time, then in a few years heaven help them!!

Seriously, I remember going through a BTEC engineering course a while after Mundella (late 70's ?) and I was amazed at being given formula sheets for the exams. Seems you don't need to 'remember' all that stuff, just know which formula to use!

And some of the new graduates DO leave a little to be desired! Makes you wonder what they teach them these days - or am I being unfair? Answers on a postcard please!

Margaret Astill

Posted on Friday, August 08, 2003 - 12:36 am:   

Is anybody watching that programme on BBC on a Tuesday about present-day 16 year olds attending a 1950's Grammar School, in a "Boarding House".

They are wearing the obligatory maroony blazers with yellow braiding of course!

They were set a maths test, and it was so hard they thought it was a 50s O Level paper. it turned out to be a 1957 11+ paper, must be the one i took.

The percentages gained were very low, some below 20%, only one boy got full marks.

I checked with an 18 year old Manchester University maths student at work next day, and no, he couldn't do long division or long multiplication.

And dolly onions thought i was no good at maths! but i did get a grade 5 pass.

Anyway, it's quite interesting, although much stricter than i remember. perhaps some of those who were at school in the early 50s could tell us if it fits in with what they remember?

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page