Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Why has this place gone so quiet?

Mundella School » General Chat » Why has this place gone so quiet? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Spot

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, August 31, 2005 - 06:16 pm:   

There's a strange echo from Italy!

Sorry Julie, only kidding ;-)

Obviously I don't remember you, having left in 72! Was Mundella still going in 81? It must have been. I recall a neighbour (also an ex Mundella) being up in arms about Mundella going Comprehensive (wash my mouth out!) It closed altogether not long after that.

Anyone remember dates?

julie stewart

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:55 pm:   

hi my name is julie stewart i attended mundella from 1976 to 1981 now living in italy would love to hear from anyone who remembers me

julie stewart

Posted on Monday, August 29, 2005 - 06:48 pm:   

hi my name is julie stewart i attended mundella from 1976 to 1981 now living in italy would love to hear from anyone who remembers me

Andrew Cole

Posted on Monday, August 08, 2005 - 06:38 pm:   

Funnily enough, Bob, I used to put together and maintain those huge mainframe computers that covered an acre or so under some of our Australian Government buildings. Much of the software was very cleverly constructed because a HUGE memory may have been 1 Meg of 32 bit Plessey core storage which would have filled my lounge room. As for the disk drives, over a metre in diameter and a stack of sixteen on their edge enclosed in a helium filled container to reduce windage friction. Those were the days. Unfortunately, with memory becoming cheaper by the minute, programming has become a very lazy business but is cost effective. User friendly has become an image rather than mnemonics to remember. I still find it an enjoyable game to keep my compiled programmes at least ten times smaller than those created by Visual Basic. I am Microsoft P.C. illiterate but learning.
Regards to all.

Bob Woolsey

Posted on Sunday, July 24, 2005 - 06:18 pm:   

You could always do what I do, and stick the home page on your favourites list.

As soon as you get to the home page, hold down the Ctrl key (bottom left of your keyboard), then hit the D key.

If I'm telling what you already know, I apologise - but not everyone of my sort of age knows their way around a computer :-)

Andrew Cole

Posted on Saturday, July 23, 2005 - 09:25 pm:   

Being a novice (a very old novice) I have discovered no nasties from this site except not being able to get back to the HOME page, so I just X off and start again, no probs.

Spot

Posted on Thursday, September 30, 2004 - 07:13 pm:   

In response to earlier comments - I use antivirus and firewall software, and nothing's happened to either of my PCs

Joe Payne

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 11:02 am:   

Jackie:

I think I can make it on site now. Us amateurs need a lot of practice. I'LL be back.

Joe Payne

Posted on Saturday, August 21, 2004 - 10:48 am:   

In response to Jackie Pownall, I don't need abuse , I need advice.I still have problems getting on site. Two of my postings have failed to appear. How about some constructive assistance. I suspect my cuurent problems would disqualify me as a webmaster.

Jackie Pownall

Posted on Thursday, August 05, 2004 - 04:17 am:   

This is a free website constructed using free software, which results in a few blips. Free software cannot always be adapted. You do not need to obtain a user name or password. Read the instructions or ask. Funny how lots of "amateurs" manage to access it ok. When you feel like criticising, ask yourself how much you pay (or maybe you don't) to friends reunited each year. The site has achieved its aim of putting old scholars in touch with each other. If you feel you can contribute something interesting and non-libellous, please forward as a Word document. And remember, when the webmaster retires, we shall need someone to take over.

Surfin' Clean, over and out.

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:52 pm:   

At risk of boring everyone to death with this thread. . .
I used upper case to help you and others separate my responses from your original posting because this site allows only for plain text inputs. I know all about "shouting".
Using a pseudonym has nothing to do with the validity of my remarks. If I used it as a shield for abuse that would be a different matter. There are an increasing number of posters to the site using pseudonyms, I see no problem with that.
My use of "off topic" related to the subject of ad and spyware, not your patience.
OK - mea culpa, hands in the air, I'm guilty as charged - Ad-watch is only included in the professional version of Ad-Aware. Sorry about that. I'd forgotten I'd upgraded over a year ago. Another symptom of impending senility no doubt. (Upgrading to the pro version will cost peanuts, ca. 25, compared to the protection it offers).
Your responses about my 'criticism' of Margo et al are unworthy of you. Please read what I had written. Any website needs constant maintenance and this one is no exception. Again, I refer you to Joe Payne's posting of July 28th.
I have contributed quite a bit of archive material to this site and will continue to do so, webmaster permitting.

Anyway, enough of this - apologies to all for a modest and brief hijack of the forum.

Stan

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 04:53 pm:   

Dear Surfin,Thankyou for your further helpful critism. I feel your efforts would carry more weight if you emerged from behind your Harry Potter type cloak of invisibility and gave us the benefit of being able to put a name to your helpful advice.
It appears that you are dissatisfied with the splendid efforts of the present webmaster/s and so the obvious conclusions are the usual ones,i.e.-start a competitor,volunteer your help to the presentwebmaster,etc.etc,-or dare I venture the advice that you may consider not logging on at all,if the present situation offends you so greatly.
As you are not pleased with the situation,work to improve it.This site would not exist without the fine efforts of Margo and co. -then where would you be without somebody /thing to knock?
Now, just a few points on good manners.
1.My children who are mainly in the professions of law or medicine would lead me to believe that using upper case is akin to SHOUTING instead of conversing in measured tones. I am neither deaf or blind so lower case will do, Surfin,thanks.
2.Patience, yes one certainly needs calm endurance when dealing with lesser mortals such as I.I am not even sure about the `off- topic' remark, is one ever to be critised for courtesy?
Finally,in your previous messageyou invited us to run the `prog' "Ad -Aware"(If you aren't aware of this, download and run the anti-spyware prog "Ad-Aware" before you log on again. It's free and can be obtained from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/).I did as you suggested but then discovered you had `moved the goal posts',and we were also expected to have Ad-watch also to detect the problem. Now try as I may I cannot download this software for `free',and so you have the better of me by being one step ahead. If as you suggest I can obtain it for nothing,I would be delighted to receive your help.
I never would imagine that you were the originator of the remarks alluded to in my previous message.With kindest regards and very best wishes ,Stan.
p.s. lets hope that everyone has the courage to use their names,and let us all try our utmost to get this site,and the memories that come with it to the level a fine old school deserves.

Surfin' Clean

Posted on Friday, July 30, 2004 - 06:10 am:   

Stan, RESPONSES IN UPPER CASE BELOW:-

Dear Surfin, Are you sure of your facts?

YES.

1. I have tested the site and each of its links,with no nasties found using ad-aware.

DEPENDS ON HOW YOU DEFINE "NASTIES". IN THE CASE OF THE OLD MUNDELLANS WEBSITE, LAUNCHING IT WILL (TRY TO) MODIFY YOUR REGISTRY FOR QUICKTIME - FACT.
IT WILL ALSO INSTALL AN EXE FILE AS FOLLOWS:
C:\PROGRAM FILES\QUICK TIME\QTASK.EXE INTO BOOT-UP.
- FACT.

I DON'T LIKE HAVING MY REGISTRY MODIFIED NOR EXE FILES INSTALLED WITHOUT MY CONSENT.
RUNNING AD-AWARE SCANS IS NO GOOD, YOU NEED THEIR AD-WATCH RUNNING IN YOUR SYSTEM TRAY. DO THAT AND THEN CLICK ON THIS SITE. AFTER THAT YOU CAN TELL US ALL WHAT HAPPENS.

I do have very good protection though,by other means.

SO HAVE I - BUT YOUR PROTECTION HASN'T IDENTIFIED THE QUICKTIME REG MOD HAS IT?

(I have no axe to grind other than being very grateful to Margo and co. for her stirling work offered willingly to keep this site on-line)

YOU'RE MISSING THE POINT. I TOO ADMIRE ANYONE WHO DEVOTES TIME AND EFFORT TO MAINTAINING A WEBSITE WITHOUT PROFIT FOR THE BENEFIT OF OTHERS.
IT'S A TIME CONSUMING AND OFTEN, THANKLESS TASK.
BUT I WOULD STRESS THE WORD "MAINTAINING". LOOK AT THE POST FROM 'JOE PAYNE' BELOW MY ORIGINAL.
I'M AFRAID IT REQUIRES CONTINUAL COMMITMENT TO BE A WEBMASTER, NOT OCCASIONAL. THAT SAID, THIS IS A HELL OF A LOT BETTER THAN MANY FREE SITES.

2.Try logging on to the Friends Reunited site and repeat your test with ad-aware ,you will then find a bug has been added.

YES, OF COURSE, RUNNING AD AWARE AFTER YOU'VE VISITED A SITE WILL ONLY TELL YOU ABOUT ADS AND SPYWARE THAT IT'S ALREADY IMPLANTED ON YOUR PC. QUICKTIME IS NOT LISTED IN THEIR DATABASE AS EITHER ADWARE OR SPYWARE. YOU NEED TO BE RUNNING A PROG WHICH WILL STOP MODS TO YOUR REGISTRY BEFORE THEY ARE MADE. AD WATCH AND SEVERAL OTHERS WILL DO THIS.

3There is an update available from ad aware from the 24th July.

I KNOW THAT, BUT SEE ABOVE

4.One final request, I have noted a few attempts at sarcasm and attacks of a personal nature against a couple of girls contacting the site. Constructive critism is excellent,but I believe personal abuse degrades our School reputation and achieves nothing!

I AM NOT THE POSTER WHO HAS PUT THOSE RESPONSES ON THE SITE. YOU'LL GET THAT SORT POSTING ON ANY OPEN FORUM.
I AGREE WITH YOUR SENTIMENTS THOUGH.

Thankyou for your patience.

PATIENCE? WELL THIS IS OFF-TOPIC I SUPPOSE !

Kind regards

AND MINE TO YOU

Stan Hammersley

Stan

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 08:00 am:   

Dear Surfin, Are you sure of your facts?
1. I have tested the site and each of its links,with no nasties found using ad-aware. I do have very good protection though,by other means.(I have no axe to grind other than being very grateful to Margo and co. for her stirling work offered willingly to keep this site on-line)

2.Try logging on to the Friends Reunited site and repeat your test with ad-aware ,you will then find a bug has been added.

3There is an update available from ad aware from the 24th July.

4.One final request, I have noted a few attempts at sarcasm and attacks of a personal nature against a couple of girls contacting the site. Constructive critism is excellent,but I believe personal abuse degrades our School reputation and achieves nothing! Thankyou for your patience.Kind regards Stan Hammersley

Surfin' Clean

Posted on Thursday, July 29, 2004 - 05:17 am:   

Maybe cos some of us don't like sites which try and dump unwanted and uninvited code on your pc. For some while now, clicking on this website will load a Quicktime prog into your startup folder and modify your registry unless you're protected. If you aren't aware of this, download and run the anti-spyware prog "Ad-Aware" before you log on again. It's free and can be obtained from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/

Joe Payne

Posted on Wednesday, July 28, 2004 - 07:37 am:   

One reason might ne that ex-Mundellans who recently discovered the site cannot obtain a user name and password through the administrator.

Trevor Kirby

Posted on Monday, May 03, 2004 - 08:35 pm:   

It used to be quite busy at one time.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page