Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Cecil Roberts

Mundella School » General Chat » Cecil Roberts « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

6667season
Username: 6667season

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, September 25, 2006 - 04:03 am:   

Cecil Roberts Trent poem.
Go to Abebooks on web. Enter Cecil Roberts in search author box, hundreds of hits so enter trent in box on right hand side. One for sale about 12 pounds
Steve

Margo
Username: Margo

Post Number: 3

Posted on Monday, June 05, 2006 - 12:06 am:   

By the way, did you know that Cecil Roberts saw Lord Byron's body after the vault was opened? Strange little story I thought. If you didn't know, I will send you the ref I found.

Margo

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   

That's interesting! If you let me know the titles you are looking for I can keep an eye open, I often see his books when I am looking round. Of course, they are never the ones you want are they.
You can write to me at: webmaster@mundella.org.uk
Have you ever been in the Cecil Roberts room at Nottingham library? It's a few years since I was there, but I found it quite good. Cheers.

Maurice
Username: Maurice

Post Number: 2

Posted on Sunday, June 04, 2006 - 05:53 am:   

Hi Margo

I have 47 or so of his books including two of his poetry books but that poem is not among them.

I don't live in the area but in Argyll, but my father and grandfather came from Henley in Oxfordshire and when Cecil Roberts lived nearby at Pilgrim Cottage in Assenden before the war he used to come into my grandfather's shop to buy furniture. I first bought the books concerning the Henley area and then began to collect them all. It's just the early ones that I'm having difficulty finding or the 'one offs' that I mentioned in the email.

All the best,

Maurice.

Margo

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 07:37 pm:   

I'm sure I saw a Cecil Roberts poetry book on Ebay the other week. It's not there now, but you could keep looking. There are also a few "Selected Poems" on Bookfinder on the web, mainly from the USA I think, although that is not a problem providing the poem you want is in them!On Ebay I was in the process of buying a book of his which contained a letter allegedly from him to someone called Jenny. Very interesting, but terrible writing! Do you live in the Nottingham area? How did you come to be interested in Cecil?

Maurice
Username: Maurice

Posted on Thursday, June 01, 2006 - 04:25 am:   

I'm not an Old Mundellian, I'm afraid, but a reader and collector of anything to do with Cecil Roberts. He won the Henry Kirke White Memorial prize awarded by University College Nottingham in 1912 with his poem, 'The Trent'. Does anyone have this poem, or maybe the text of the essay on Kirke White which he wrote for the Mundella School magazine, at the age of 14, around 1906.

I would love to hear from anyone who can help me with these requests.

Many thanks,

Maurice Wilkins.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page