Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

HELP! HELP? - OLD MUNDELLA SCHOOL ART...

Mundella School » General Chat » HELP! HELP? - OLD MUNDELLA SCHOOL ARTEFACTS « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Mountain
Username: Mountain

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, April 01, 2010 - 03:51 am:   

Can anyone tell me what happened to the boards at Mundella that contained the names of previous head boys and head girls? Someone has told me they are in the county library?

DAVID PEARSON

Posted on Wednesday, April 24, 2002 - 10:26 pm:   

I am pleased to advise that a meeting took place on 20 March 02, chaired by OM Keith Charter, now a Governor of the Nottingham Emanuel School, where the collection of artefacts is housed. The meeting with David King, the new Headteacher was attended by me and Alan Jennings. It was agreed that the trophies be used for school prizes, that other artefacts be placed on a rotating display and that the collection could form the subject of school projects/publicity events. The collection had grown since the last inventory and Alan Jennings has agreed to make a new one, which can eventually be made available on this website.A system for loaning items will be arranged through the school library.

IF ANY OF YOU HAVE ANY ITEMS YOU WOULD LIKE ADDING TO THIS COLLECTION PLEASE CONTACT ALAN JENNINGS "MILLGARTH" 57 GRASSINGTON RD, BOBBERS MILL NOTTM NG8 3PA, TEL (0115) 854 9830 OR ME TEL. (0115.9284566) ASAP

Julia Pearl

Posted on Wednesday, March 20, 2002 - 05:13 am:   

The Scott letter and, I think, picture of the dog used to be on display in the entrance to the school office/Mr Moody's office in the '60s.

David Pearson

Posted on Sunday, March 17, 2002 - 11:52 pm:   

SCOTT OF THE ANTARCTIC ARTEFACT NO LONGER MISSING

I am delighted to inform all concerned that the Scott letter has been found by Keith Charter in the County Archives where it was originally proposed to be located. It is a typed letter from the British Antarctic Expedition 1910 and dated 26 Feb. It acknowledges receipt of £3.3s.0d from the scholars of Mundella with thanks for their patriotic support. There is a manuscript note in Scott's handwriting asking that the boys and girls be thanked and told that the dog will be called Mundella. Attached is a formal receipt with the then usual one penny stamp. Unfortunately the writing is very faded, the letter having once been on display.

David Pearson

Posted on Friday, August 03, 2001 - 05:29 pm:   

This is necessarily quite a long message:

A small group of OMs have been trying to locate, document and find a safe haven for these artefacts -ideally as a job lot. The saga started when the first world war memorial was found in a stockroom of a Bilborough school. This is now at St Mary's Church, Nottingham awaiting final permission to install. If and when it is, you will be invited to a dedication ceremony cum re-union, via this board.

A collection of other artefacts currently resides in a room at Wilford Meadows Comprehensive which is closing this month and due to re-open in Sept 02 as Nottm Emanuel C of E. As time goes on, this collection has become depleted and damaged, due to movements in/out and borrowings without return. The current inventory includes 4 Honours Boards; a large gilt-framed oil of A J Mundella; 2 framed photos - J A Jones, Headmaster + ? AJM; plinth for marble bust of AJM (bust located elsewhere);and various trophies - cups, shields, medals.

Despite strenuous efforts, the oil of AJM has been refused as a permanent gift for exhibition at the Nottm Castle Museum. A framed photo and letter from Scott of the Antarctic has been accepted for safe keeping by Notts Archives but this has now gone missing , believed borrowed and not returned - DOES ANYONE KNOW OF ITS CURRENT WHEREABOUTS PLEASE? It was agreed that the trophies should ideally be used by the new school.

There were also 2 panoramic photos of staff/pupils
as at July 57 and 64 which are being sent to Margo for display on this site and to which I have added one of 1948.

Can anyone else help with providing a home for the honours boards, paintings and framed photos as a group or are we content to leave these where they are and possibly gradually disappear?

David J.Freemantle

Posted on Tuesday, August 07, 2001 - 05:05 am:   

Dear David
Sorry to hear about the missing artefacts, i agree it
would be tragic to let any more disappear, or suffer damage. i would be pleased to help in any re-location, and will wait to hear from you or others
Regards, David Freemantle ( Mundella 1951 - 58 )

Melanie Howarth

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 08:01 pm:   

If you're interested, I've still got my Blazer Badge - It's in perfect condition, because I bought it in 1981 when I started and never got around to sewing it on (never got around to taking it out of the envelope!).

Keith Charter

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 04:31 am:   

Message to David Pearson re OM Artefacts

I attended Mundella 1951-56 and am now a Governor of The Nottingham Emmanuel School. If the new school could be seen as a permanent or temporary home to the collection perhaps you could send telephone & e-mail details to me and I will make enquiries and get back to you ...... keithcharter@cwcom.net

10 August 2001

David Pearson

Posted on Tuesday, August 14, 2001 - 04:51 pm:   

To David Freemantle, Melanie Howarth, Keith Charter

Many thanks for your messages and offers of help. Keith's seems the best bet as the collection is currently housed at what will become the new Nottingham Emanuel school. I have today emailed Keith to see what can be done via his position as Governor and will post a notice advising the results in due course.
David Pearson email
Tel. 0115.928.4566

Tony Kirkman

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 01:00 am:   

To David Pearson

David, I think we should all offer you a great vote of thanks for what you are doing to preserve part of Mundella's heritage. It was a great school, and I for one remember my years there from 1956 until 1963 with very great affection. If there is any way I can help with this, please let me know.

With many thanks for your initiative.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page