Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Flowing Waters

Mundella School » General Chat » Flowing Waters « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Paul Smith

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, March 22, 2005 - 08:15 am:   

I went to Mundella in 69/70 after that seen my 11 Plus. I'm not even sure what class I was in it seems a lifetime ago. I left Mundella to go and live with my father who was a member of the British forces. I do remember Miss Perry a French teacher, Mr Browning a psycho and history teacher. I didn't go to history or religious education lessons because he had threatened to slip me, they didn't catch me for nearly two years, when he asked my brother which school I was attending and my brother said this one! Anyway, I remember the old tennis courts near the prefabs and the little gospel church next door. Running around the sports pitches and along the embankment. I don't see the remember many pupils are remember lad called Alan Smith, he lived on the next road to the school and had a sister with very long dark hair, I believed I tried to go out with her but I failed.
I left to go to a boarding school in Germany but it wasn't one of those posh schools although we did have a strict uniform code mainly because it was a boarding school for the children of militarily personnel. I did 4 years there, and then when I came back to Nottingham I ended up going to Roland Green over the river in Wilford! That was a comedown.
I joined the army and was quite happy there until I went to Northern Ireland in 1977, after that I had to leave the army because to put it bluntly its get the crap out of me, I also went to live in Canada where I worked as a safety officer in a Canadian munitions warehouse, and the money was great. When I returned to England I started a job as a long-distance lorry driver and I enjoy that.
On November 25, 1983 I had a motorcycle accident, I tried to stop my motorbike with the back of a heavy goods vehicle and the heavy goods vehicle won the argument! So I have been paralysed from the neck down. My motto is don't let the X. X. X. X. X. X. X.gride you down!
If anybody knows me, hello. If anybody reads this who does't you don't know what you Miss!
Cheers.

Dave Binch

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 09:39 pm:   

Flowing Waters

Thanks Glenn, this is what I have been searching for, for ages.

However from my memory, the passage seemed a little bit longer than this?

Has this been truncated, or maybe I'm wrong?

Can anyone else remember?

Melanie Howarth

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 07:58 pm:   

Anyone who's ever been to a detention (certainly in the final decade of the school) will know exactly what this is - but for the rest of you - we were forced to sit in a classroom and copy out the poem 'Flowing waters' for either 1 hour or 4 times, whichever came first (as a dyslexic I always ended up doing an hour!) I was in detentions almost on a weekly basis, so by the end of the second year I could quoate it off the top of my head. This was my 'party trick' for some time. BUT, finding this site has reminded me, and I can't do it anymore! I can anybody help? I can't even remember who it's by anymore.

On another point - has anybody been reading the Harry Potter books and transplanting Hogwarts to Mundella? - particularly the great feasts in the old hall and the thousands of mysterious staircases

John Brown

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 07:57 am:   

Is this the one?

Flowing Waters
by Kathie Rector

The cycle of water is like love.
Raining down from the sky above.
Into the flowing rivers and lakes.
Sun warming - steam it makes.

Floating back up to the sky.
God only knowing when and why.
Our love is like this,
From the first touch of your kiss.

This love is forever,
Like the cycle of water.
Continuously flowing,
The reason only God knowing.

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 05:47 am:   

calling out to anyone who ws in german class with me 5r or 5p...can anyone remember hiding from the german teacher who had the misfortune to teach us?we were at the top of the stairs for half a lesson we kept going up and down the opposite stairs..i think mrs bell finally cottoned on and sent us back up...funny and was it sadjid hanging from the ceiling in german?// he got caught just as the teacher walked in...funny he always got caught...1985!!!

Glenn Oakes 71 - 76

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 06:32 am:   

I suspect that this is the "flowing Waters" of detention fame, I have pasted it from the old guestbook as I didn't have too many occasions when I had to write it out (honest!)

The water, from its prolonged agitation is beaten, not into mere creaming foam but into masses of accumulated yeast, which hang in ropes and wreaths from wave to wave, and, where one curls over to break, form a festoon like a drapery from its edge; these are taken up by the wind, not in dissipating dust, but bodily, in writhing, hanging, coiling masses, which make the air white and thick as with snow, only the flakes are a foot or two long each; the surges themselves are full of foam in their very bodies, underneath, making them white all through, as the water is under a great cataract; and their masses, being thus half water and half air, are torn to pieces by the wind whenever they rise, and carried away in roaring smoke, which chokes and strangles the actual water."

I hope this brings back lots of happy memories!!!

kevin cawser

Posted on Saturday, September 08, 2001 - 02:23 pm:   

1976 group.
Does anyone know of the whereabouts of any of the following? Tony Allen, Jackie Thompson, Richard Myrie, Valerie Sanderson, Tony Bednall, Dennis Prince, James Sarsfield, Hamid Sharif or many others who we've not heard from!

j.chandler@sap.com

Posted on Thursday, September 20, 2001 - 06:23 pm:   

I am in contact with jill houghton my mobile number is 07808575217

John Brown

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 03:46 am:   

Yes, Melanie, you certainly are dyslexic!

Anonymous

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, November 12, 2001 - 03:57 am:   

I remember a lot of running around on the top floor, up and down stairs. I remember getting floored by Leslie Hepburn one day when he thought I was someone else, and pounced on me from the side bit, where the single stairs changed to two lots, just below the German room....
Anyone remember NOT learning german with Mr Rowarth in the french block, that man could talk for hours and then set us no homework, I only remember one german phrase:
My pen is broken... I won't even attempt to write it in german.

Flowing Waters?? I got detention from Mr Nettleship every time I was late for school, and I was always late... I remember getting bored one afternoon and fitting "Mr Robinson Is A Bastard" into my lines, he never read them, just counted them....
I felt like I was getting my own back, I was far too quiet to make a more 'vocal' rebellion...

Wayne Lespeare

Posted on Tuesday, November 13, 2001 - 07:16 pm:   

Glen, that was indeed the flowing waters I remember. Brought back at least one unhappy memory!

Kevin, I too wonder what has happened to all the names you mentioned and others i.e. Ricky Sandford, Paul Eden-Smith, Andrew Humphries, Oliver Wedderburn to mention a few. - p.s. I loved the teeshirt pictures and hope the hoilday was fun.

Glenn Oakes

Posted on Wednesday, November 14, 2001 - 01:31 am:   

Glad to be of service, Wayne!!!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page