Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Robert N. Hoard

Mundella School » General Chat » Robert N. Hoard « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Malcolm Fox

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 01:57 am:   

Those of you in Nottingham may have read in tonight's Evening Post that Mr. Hoard died at his home in Bristol on 18th August. He was 88. Rest in peace "Noddy".

John Brown

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 07:53 am:   

I have reason to be forever grateful to this wonderful man.

For four years, coached by the inimitable Dolly Onions, maths was my personal education disaster area. In one short academic year, after Dolly left/retired/married Doris Barlow, dear "Claude" took me from a less than 40% exam mark total underachiever to a respectable "B" at O-level.

I went on to make a career for many years as a number-crunching accountant.

To this superb moulder and cultivator of young minds, God Bless, and rest peacefully.

Edwina Chapmannow Goodwin

Posted on Thursday, August 30, 2001 - 03:08 pm:   

From Edwina Goodwin(ne Chapman)
I have been writing to Mr Hoard for the past couple of years at Christmas eversince I heard he was still in contact with Mr Jacobs (English) and thought the girls in his economics class in 1968/69 were good to have around albeit crummy at economics!!I feel therefore, particularly bereft of a great correspondent and a lovely man with a great sense of humour. Brilliant that he spent the last 25+ years of his life so very happily married to Mimi I think her name was.

He couldn't believe it when I told him in one of my career paths I was actually teaching macro economics to students at De Montfort University in Leicester!! I think his comments were twofold. 'You always did have the Gift of the Gab' and 'Has Tertiary Education really come to this!!'
I loved that man!

Tim Stevenson

Posted on Friday, August 31, 2001 - 04:42 am:   

Mr Hoard was the provider of three things for me

1 An escape route through his study window at the top end of the library (you were not a man til you had climbed on his desk and reached the outside world through his window)

2 A wonderful education. I passed economics at O and A level simply because of him. He taught me how to pass the exam even though I was inept at the subject.

3 An influence at a time of my life that I needed some mature person to tell me It was time to get ready for adult life

Long live

Mick Glover

Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2001 - 11:51 am:   

I have just discovered the Mundella chatboard and was sorry to read of the death of Mr "Noddy" Hoard. He taught me mathematics like no one has before or since and he taught it with humour and a twinkle in his eye. The world is a lesser place with his passing.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page