Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Anthony John Mundella

Mundella School » General Chat » Anthony John Mundella « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Margo
Advanced Member
Username: Margo

Post Number: 37

Rating: 
Votes: 5 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2009 - 05:39 pm:   

For a few years now, a small group of Mundellans has been mounting rescue expeditions to secure the safety of any relics left from the old school.
I am happy to say that all is safely gathered in. The 2 items that caused most concern were the big oil painting of Anthony John Mundella, and the marble bust and plinth. We could not persuade any Nottingham museums or similar to take these items, and of course Sheffield University and City Hall (he was MP for Sheffield Brightside) have their own memorabilia. Those of you who live locally, or keep tabs on these things will know that Nottingham is downsizing/downgrading its museums and opening times.
I am happy to announce that the Bromley Library in Nottingham has agreed to take the painting and the bust on long-term loan, and to display them when their hallway has been refurbished. If you don't know the Library, see www.bromleyhouse.org and if you wish to join or pay them a visit, the contact is Sue Severn 0115 9473134.
Unfortunately the painting and frame need about 1000 worth of restoration, so if any of you are feeling nostalgic and/or generous with Christmas coming up, please either let Sue know, or you can send me a donation, however small, via PayPal to
mea@mundella.org.uk, or just contact me. We are hoping to set up an official appeal soon, and as we have never asked for any money from you before, ever, we hope you will think kindly of this.
Sincere thanks must go to David Pearson, Alan Jennings, and to the Old Mundellans Football Club, a group which has given both moral and financial support. Finally, all the best for 2010, keep posting.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page