Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Harry Potter

Mundella School » General Chat » Harry Potter « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

smarter than Naomi, but then, who isnt?

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, July 24, 2004 - 12:23 am:   

Dear Naomi, how we've laughed at you. Thanks for the entertainment. I don't think you fully understand the thrust of this debate (altho' that's probably just one of a very very long list of things that you don't understand). Nobody here is trying to steal Ms Rowling from your school. We are not saying that JK went to Mundella. We know that she went to Wyedean, I assume it was a grammar school back then. What we are saying is that the fictitious school 'Hogwarts', created by Ms Rowling, is divided into houses (that means that the school had several component 'gangs' to put it into modern comprehensive english). The house (or gang) that Harry Potter was in was called 'Griffendor' and had it's own colours as did each house (or gang). The Griffendor colours are maroon and gold. These are the exact same colours as the old Mundella Grammar School. Our old school ties, jumpers and scarves etc are exactly the same as the ones worn by HP and everybody else in Griffendor house in Hogwarts School. EXACTLY THE SAME; IDENTICAL. This is what we are remarking upon. It was mentioned that there is a very tenuous link between JK & Mundella in that one of the masters at Wyedean had a brother who taught at Mundella who often times visited Wyedean to visit his brother and so may have come into contact with a young JK. While it has been a little amusing to watch you struggle to claim ownership of Ms Rowling on behalf of your school, it is time to stop now. I don't know if this was a little school project for you, but if it was, you can go back and show this to your special needs teacher and also to the rest of the special needs class, you never know, you might get a gold star! But on the basis that it's wicked to mock the afflicted (ask the special needs teacher to explain it to you) I will stop now. Although I must say that I am looking forward to your inevitable reply. We shall have to use the obscenities and profanities in your next message to gauge just how stupid you are. All those years ago when we were at school we used to enjoy teasing the thick kids, and do you know what? I think we still do! Thanks for being you, Naomi. Bye for now. We're watching and waiting for your (no doubt pathetic) response. Please don't disapoint us.

Naomi and Kelly

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:34 am:   

Dearest Wendy Smith,
We are current pupils at Wyedean School, and it is a well-known fact that J.K.Rowling went to our school. She has told people who the teachers are based on, and they are all from Wyedean. Also, we had news cameras and reporters coming to our school, as they did a news report on J.K.Rowlings old school.

Kelly and Naomi

Posted on Tuesday, July 20, 2004 - 01:29 am:   

im sorry, but it is a well-known fact that J.K Rowling went to Wyedean School, Sedbury, She has said so herself, i know where she used to live ( ihave seen it with my own eyes!) and i know where her dad lives. Next time she's in her home town of Chepstow, i will ask her whether she knows of a school called Mundella, cos i doubt she's ever heard of it!!!!!

Wendy Dyer

Posted on Wednesday, June 23, 2004 - 05:19 am:   

Naomi,
Wyedean Comprehensive uniform may have been brown and yellow but I can assure you that the Griffindor uniform is identical to the Mundella uniform and that is what we old Mundellans are referring to. I've just been to see HP3 and after looking carefully at Harry, Ron and Hermione I am still certain of this.

NAOMI

Posted on Monday, June 21, 2004 - 03:08 pm:   

Sorry guys, but JK Rowling went to my school. Wyedean Comprehensive, and the uniform there is yellow and brown ties, yellow and brown scarves, exactly like Hogwarts. I am not a fan of Harry Potter, but I do know that the uniform was based on Wyedean school uniform, as JK Rowling has said so herself.
Sorry to burst your bubble, people from mundella.
My home economics teacher taught JK Rowling, so THERE!

susan chandler bradshaw as was

Posted on Friday, June 20, 2003 - 05:56 pm:   

Talking about uniforms My daughter goes to The Nottingham Emmanuel School which is sited on the Rowland Green/Wilford Meadows. The uniform is black trousers with maroon tops and jumpers(sound formiliar) the tie is maroon and gold. When I went to look around the school it was like going back to Mundella. They also have the Mundella Bibles which used to be on the plinth on stage. It is really eerie.

Wendy Smith

Posted on Tuesday, May 28, 2002 - 02:12 am:   

I was at Mundella from 1972 to 1977 and was in Hardwick House and am sure we were 'Yellow'. I thought Welbeck was 'Blue', Wollaton was 'Red' and Thoresby was 'Green' - but could be wrong! Bought the harry Potter video on 11 May - was gob-smacked to see the school tie and jumper, the scarf was a little different, but Griffindor was definitely our school colours! Snape reminded me of 'Robbo' Robinson (not the hair that was more Adolf Hitler!), Prof McGonagall was Mrs Leak, Dumbledore was Mr Baggot (maths - remember?), Mme Hooch was definitely Mrs Windsor (PE). If anyone from my year remembers 'Miffy' (Martin Smith - a lovely lad who, sadly died not long after leaving school) then you will note the resemblance to Seamus Finnegan. And sorry to say, but Andy Harston was most definitely Neville Longbotham (sorry Andy - I'll buy you a drink on 6th July!).

mike sweet

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 04:30 pm:   

Julia.I`m afraid you may be correct.I was in Wollaton-there I`ve said it!-as I recall we never won anything,but at least I wasn`t in Welbeck!
Mike

Julia Pearl

Posted on Monday, January 07, 2002 - 10:30 am:   

Mike Sweet. Good to see someone from the old place has a true sense of humour.

mike sweet

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 09:48 pm:   

Oh come on get real.It was surely Wollaton!

Anonymous

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 05:16 pm:   

Dear Richard,
You will be pleased to note that Frodo does not wear a tie, but rather a chain with a gold ring attached, around his neck.

Julia Pearl

Posted on Wednesday, January 02, 2002 - 05:05 pm:   

No, Richard, wrong! Thoresby. But good try.

Richard Brown

Posted on Monday, December 31, 2001 - 03:41 am:   

Well, we went to see the Harry Potter movie last week, late show after the crowds had subsided. And yes, they're wearing the same tie and pully that I used to. But, this is not the Hogwart's uniform, it's the Griffinfor colors.
So Mundellans, the old school colors are not only honored by Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, but specifically by Harry's house, and therefore the superior house in the school! Recognition Indeed!
Of course, if Harry had gone to Mundella, he'd have been in Hardwick, right?
PS I can't to see what tie Frodo will be wearing.

Kay Allen

Posted on Friday, December 07, 2001 - 05:34 am:   

Hello, I have just found this site and was very interested to see the posting from Julia Pearl. I too live in Perth WA and went to Mundella from '63 to '68. I do still have my tie........

Steve Adcock the younger

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 07:42 pm:   

I saw an article in last week's Sunday Times supplement on the new Harry Potter film. Harry is on the magazine cover in his school uniform. His uniform included a Mundella tie and sweater.

Is JKRowling an Old Mundellan who we have all overlooked, or was Mundella a school for wizards, and I spent seven years there without noticing?

PAT GILLETTE

Posted on Monday, October 08, 2001 - 11:02 pm:   

Dear Steve Adcock, the younger: Re Harry Potter -did YOU know where all of those stairs led? And what concoctions were really put together in those old labs?

Who knows? Maybe our old school was a prototype Hogwarts!

Anonymous

Posted on Saturday, October 13, 2001 - 02:12 am:   

J K Rowling went to Wyedean School near Chepstow, where she was taught Chemistry by John Nettleship, elder brother of our own greatly respected Maths teacher

Patricia Schrot

Posted on Sunday, October 14, 2001 - 07:26 am:   

I just saw the pictures in the store today from the movie and told my friend that they were wearing our old school uniform, I couldn't believe it!
I admit to reading all the books and anxiously await the movie next month!

Pat Gillette Curtis

Posted on Tuesday, October 16, 2001 - 05:13 am:   

Yes, you're all right! Was in a book store today in Santa Monica, Southern California, and spotted the Harry Potter promo - this time I saw the Mundella scarf. It did happen to be the older version (horizontal maroon and yellow stripes, heavy wool, and not the later and lighter scarf with vertical stripes).

Richard Brown

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 02:57 am:   

It's all staring to come together now.
There was that strange apparition that that came down Turney Street around 4.00 pm every day, and used to knock the unwary student flying as he grasped for unseen somethings in the air around him. It must have been Nearly Headless Nick.
Was Mrs McGonnagle really Dolly Onions? Several people I know, SWEAR they saw her enter the school on a broomstick!

Pat Gillette Curtis

Posted on Friday, November 02, 2001 - 09:56 am:   

To add to Richard's message, this is exactly why the books and film are so popular - we can all relate the story to our own school incidents.

I hear that tickets for the movie in this land across the 'Pond' are selling for 6 weeks ahead!

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, November 05, 2001 - 09:26 pm:   

Having spoken to Spike, his brother did not actually teach J K R, but she was a pupil at the school. The twist appears to lie in the fact that JKR's mum was the lab assistance for his brother. It would appear that Prof Snape could be modelled on his brother

Julia Pearl

Posted on Monday, November 19, 2001 - 03:07 pm:   

Even in the sunny climes of Oz, we too are experiencing the movie magic.
On 26 November Subiaco Primary School, Perth - uniform colours maroon and gold, would you believe, is hosting a 'Premiere Harry Potter night'. In almost 30C I will be proudly sitting in an air-conditioned cinema with my Mundella scarf around my neck, my school report in my hand and any other memorabilia I can find. Then I will scrutinise the SAID uniform of Harry himself. Looking forward to it!
Julia Pearl

Gaye Kingston

Posted on Saturday, December 01, 2001 - 04:28 pm:   

In New Zealand too, we have Harry Potter mania.... and it amuses me to see the old uniform again. wish I'd still got scarf or tie to compare with Harry's. Can't wait to see the movie, when I can get a ticket !

Julia Pearl

Posted on Sunday, December 02, 2001 - 07:44 pm:   

Saw it - last week as planned. Not bad . The start of the action was a long time coming; the end rather disappointing. The special effects fantastic. Harry, himself great. Hermione could do with de-elocuting herself and being a bit more natural. Still she did a good job.
The uniform?...Well, as it was a warm day here the woolly looking jumper definitely made my neck itchy. However, the tie was SO familiar I could remember buying mine from Parliament St Co-Op in 1967 and having to learn how to tie it properly. It was a proud moment, indeed.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page