Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Mundella Football

Mundella School » General Chat » Mundella Football « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

bad memories

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Sunday, July 25, 2004 - 12:15 am:   

I remember 'Wack' Walker. 'Wack' was not a contraction of his surname, rather an indication of his favourite hobby; he enjoyed wacking school kids. I remember him as a vicious, sadistic, bullying bastard. I am just sorry that the cancers and painful death that I wished on the nasty swine didn't happen. I also seem to remember rumours of him having it away with one of the sixth form girls (she must have had no standards at all). If memory serves, he was lucky to keep his job. Although, I suppose, it may have been only rumour. I prefer to believe the worst of him; well, it's so easy and it saves time. The post mentioning the nasty old bully is now two and a half years old, so you never know the old shit might have done the decent thing and popped his clogs. I just hope it hurt. Forgive and forget? He never subscribed to that view when he was bully in chief at Mundella.

Ron Catling

Posted on Tuesday, April 20, 2004 - 12:15 am:   

I remember many of the names mentioned and am sure I could add many more.Any one remember me? unkempt ginger hair - from about 14years wore specs. used to hang around with Derek "Willy" Turner, Keith Edwards, Malc. Brown etc.Reason for coming in on football is - I remember Denis Wilshaw etc but does anyone remember the headline of the Evening Post/ News "Local lad makes good" -- Ted Huddlestone being picked for Forest when he was in his late teens. Ted was at Mundella 1946 - 1951/2.

Alan Boaler

Posted on Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:28 pm:   

Dennis Wilshaw played for Wolverhampton Wanderers, was an England 'B' International and a PE master. He was a 'hit' with the girls for different reasons!

Anonymous

Posted on Friday, March 22, 2002 - 03:51 am:   

Dennis Wilshaw who played soccer for England taught at Mundella in the 50s

Anonymous

Posted on Thursday, February 14, 2002 - 02:31 am:   

i was a captain of a mundella football.and it has no bearing on my life whats so ever.but i did live next door to bill brindley s brother.

Elaine Hughes

Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2002 - 03:02 pm:   

Malcolm - I've played a part in organising a reunion for years 1973 - 1978 on March 9th. We would love to know how to contact Mick Walker as he was our Maths teacher .... although we spent more time "ducking" chalk and board rubbers. If you have a contact number for Mick please e.mail me at elaine.hughes1@ntlworld.com Cheers

Malcolm Fox

Posted on Saturday, February 02, 2002 - 04:17 am:   

Last night I attended the 80th birthday party of former Notts County manager Jimmy Sirrel. The event was organised by the Notts County ex-players association and amongst the many distinguished guests were two gentlemen with Mundella connections :
David Pleat attended the school in the late fifties and early sixties, representing England at schoolboy level on several occasions. Following a long career as a football player, coach and manager he now works for Tottenham Hotspur, a club he formerly managed, and also makes frequent appearances on TV to give match commentators the benefit of his profound knowledge of the game. He told me that he vividly recalled his years at Mundella and asked to be remembered to his contemporaries.
Mick “Wack” Walker arrived at Mundella in 1964 to teach PE and Games. His talents as a football coach are legendary (as is his slipper) and he eventually left teaching to pursue a career in the game; ultimately managing Notts. County in the old First Division. I last saw Mick eighteen months ago, just before he and his family moved from their Worksop home to take up a residential post at Leeds United’s Academy. He is still at Leeds and thoroughly enjoying his life in professional football, away from the enormous pressures of first team management.
We talked a length about his Mundella years and the affection and esteem he is held in by the many footballers who wore the “maroon and gold” under his tutelage. I left Mundella just before Mick arrived but personally benefited from his advice and guidance (often forceful !) some years ago when he supervised the UEFA coaching course I was attending. Since then, up to his Leeds appointment, I have had the privilege of ocassionally working with him on various coach education initiatives in Notts.
I am trying to get him to come to the reunion in September along with his wife, Hilary (herself a Mundellan), and promised to write to him with details.
Before finishing I must mention a third football conversation from this very merry evening. My old Trent Bridge Primary School contemporary John “Billy” Brindley (ex England School Boys, Forest and Notts.) is not a Mundellan, but his brother Steve, now living in Germany, attended our school in the sixties. Our conversation touched on Ray Hall (Mundella and England schoolboys then Wolves) who played at Wembley with Bill against Germany in, I think 1962, and Ray’s younger brother, Malcolm, who, I believe, also attended the school in the mid-late 60s. Ray was a year above me and Malc, a few years younger – though I came to know him through work in the early 70s.
All in all it was a splendid night out, and so unexpected in its Monkeydella connections.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page