Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

1971-1976

Mundella School » Mainly for pupils in the 1970s » 1971-1976 « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Hamid
Username: Hamid

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Wednesday, October 01, 2014 - 06:24 pm:   

I was in Mundella from 1971-6. I recall many of the names mentioned in Kevin's and Geoff Hick's emails. Other names I recall are John Chandler, Patrick Gilmour, James Sarsfield, Donald McCartnesy, Lorraine, Paula, Alison, Eleoner, Mary Bull, Jayne, Wayne Lespiere, Dennis (both Wayne and Dennis were great soccer players ) and Clough. I met Patrick,James and Donald a few years back in London. I met Patrick again in Beijing (where I am now bases) two weeks ago.

Pat Badder

Posted on Saturday, July 30, 2005 - 02:31 pm:   

Bugger! Exposed (and not for the first time in my life). Going on leave today, back in two weeks
Pat

JUST GUESSING

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 07:20 pm:   

PEEWEE.?.?.?

smallclue

Posted on Friday, July 29, 2005 - 02:22 am:   

Ref my'smallclue' msg in whatever happened to folder: It may narrow it down if I put it in with my peer group!!

geoff hicks

Posted on Wednesday, July 06, 2005 - 05:24 am:   

Peter (Stowban) my dear chap, yes I do remember the tuck shop(s). There were at least two shops and wasn't there a tuck van at one stage? One of the shops belonged to a woman called 'Dozy Dora'. The iced buns were great, but in the earlier days it was the fresh crispy bread rolls hollowed out and filled with salt and lineker that were just the ticket before a plunge into an icy cold Portland Baths swimming lesson. There was no poncy heated pools in those days - it was as much as you could do to avoid the ice floes cutting your ears off as you dived in. Food was important in those far off years and there was an occasional foray to Petes fish and chip shop on Arkwright street at a lunchtime although this was frowned upon. I saw a post referring to one Jimmy Dunn at a different part of this site - if this was the same James Dunn then I take my hat off to the mightiest eater of them all! On one break in particular I was buying the usual roll and crisps but remember James following me into the shop. As I left I heard the order, no mere'cobs' for James - this order involved a huge bag of ham and bread cut from the loaf! If he had ordered a flagon of ale at the same time I would not have batted an eyelid. A special man indeed. The food was needed of course as there were many games of football going on in the breaktimes on the yard. One year I had taken delivery of the cheapest, nastiest pair of slip-ons that it was possible to receive. My dad had kitted us both out and these had definately fallen ONTO a lorry they were so bad. I took a Peter Lorimer swipe at the ball and the right shoe flew over the fence into the vicars back garden. I had to walk out of the school and round and sneaked through to his garden. He spotted me of course and accused me of pinching his sons ball!! I got reported and had to go round and apologise. I must have got through dozens of pairs of trousers on those courts but don't remember your pristine stayprest and shiny brogues getting dirty Pete! I remember a bad tackle on Dennis Prince in one match. He was very angry with me, so angry he chinned me!! It was hilarious and I couldn't believe he'd done it, he couldn't believe it either - it barely grazed my stubble. Beddy and I were soon to pay our first trip to the Town Arms after watching Notts County reserves. We had not yet turned 16 but had sideburns to die for. It was a real dive with real alkies, but the pint tasted brilliant. Although we were just beginning our journey on the road to boozedom, there was a real drinker lurking in the class who was yet to reveal his hand.

geoff hicks

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 05:19 am:   

Baldeagle - but you are soaring! It would be reflected white light if you are thinking of Ms Starkey in Physics class - I remember very well, but Megan.... were you on first name terms or is it just another fantasy? We had a very attractive Brummie English teacher as well, what was her name?

BaldEagle

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 04:54 am:   

Who said my pseudonym is anything to do with negative hirsuitism? It is merely an expression of my ability to soar above the turkeys around me......!(Very definately tongue in cheek!)
Reflect, Geoff? Its damn near a light source!
Anyone remember Megan Starkey, the physics teacher? I DO! Forever telling me I was too easily distracted, I wonder why!!
Pete, you mention PE teacher, looked in my report, obviously got writers cramp by the time he got to me.. 'has difficulty' is all I got and a squiggle that might be Woods!

geoff hicks

Posted on Saturday, June 18, 2005 - 02:38 am:   

To esau/baldeagle - why the anonymity? There should be nothing to hide with negative hirsuitism (except toupees). Come out into the light and reflect with pride!

Mr Oldak (Physics) - hidden football talents (came out staff v school team), christ he was quick... Never understood a word of the lectures.
Mr Cherrit (Physics) - no hidden football talents, latent comedian potential
Mr Sudbury (Biology) - had empathy with pupils (especially Kay Fisher)
Mr Nettleship (Maths) - restless arm movements a distraction, maths less of a distraction
Mr Offord (English) - intellectual type, gave me praise for an essay, ok by me.
Mr Hawkins (geography) - arrete, corrie, north west europe, cumulonimbus, bushy beard, crap o'level result
Ms Luker (German) - Stunning ayrian, too classy for the likes of us, personal tragedy that we were all sorry for.
Mr Hallam (Music) - What did he carry in that lunch basket? I remember inspirational Grieg, the story of Fingals Cave, and anything possible to avoid singing solo tests (spanish main). He gave me 8/10 which was generous.
Mr Abbott (Art) - remember facts of life lecture following spate of lewd and rude chalk messages on walls (I may name names!!)
Mr Charnley? (Chemistry) - I was ok at Chemistry but remember 22% class test result. Obviously not my fault
Mr Glass (French) - trendy beard, faced Tim Peck down in class following personal rumours, good at basketball as I recall
Mr Angus (History) - marathon man and all round good egg. Learning and reciting long boring history passages ad nauseum has cost me valuable memory space in later life.

Run out of energy - pupils and more teachers to come. Can you remember anything?

Esau

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 04:40 am:   

To Bald Eagle and all challenged by negative hirsutism,please remember ,Confucius he say
~Dynamics of head hair

After a certain age, say 50 years, hair on the head has a tendency to grow inward instead of outward. While growing inward, if it touches gray matter it turns gray. If it doesn’t, it falls! '
Esau

geoff hicks

Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 02:47 am:   

Being very unfit I have turned to jogging - why not run the original school 1.4 mile cross country route and nudge ahead of Mr Grubb (before our time) who ran unfeasibly quick times. I was never good but remember my times of 8-9 minutes as the norm. I ran ELEVEN MINUTES NINETEEN SECONDS and was laughed at by the local snotnoses before collapsing on my car. What would wacko think of me now? It was only the memory of Chris Widdowson and the ten to two shuffle that kept me going (sorry Chris). Mind you wacks successor Dave? Woods (at his peak) would still have finished behind me, drawing on one of those Senator cigars (with holder of course). I well remember our last games session with Woody advising us to look after ourselves in future years whilst clearing the airways (Priceless!).
I was always better at the field sports, long jump etc at Trent Pool and even beat Julian Matthews who wore his brothers spikes.
I've caught up with Andy Marshall (Tarshall) and Nige Hubbard at work - unfortunately Andy has left now. More memories of people and teachers next time. (If this posting appears twice in slightly different form its because the red wine has done the trick....)

Pete Stowban

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   

How could we forget you Geoffrey?
The only lad who could grow a beard when he was 11 years old!
Was the "acker" thing about when you used to go "ack-ack-ack" durig periods of hilarity?
Can you remember the tuck shop buns for 2p?
Elaine used to knock about with my younger sis,Ana and Beddys sister Lorraine
Jot down some more memories please as my own are somewhat clouded by a heady cocktail of bitter,mild and old age!!
Skiing in Austria etc.etc.
All the best,
Go forward one and all,Pete Stowban

geoff hicks

Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 06:16 am:   

Many great memories of '76 here, but many more lay dormant I think!
I've been to a couple of the re-unions which were brilliant - will there be another? I could write a whole piece on the reunion thing - how on earth can you express memories, feelings, events etc at these soirees.
Anyway I hope a few of you remember me, geoff hicks aka 'acker' to the guys, far too shy to be remembered by the girls.
Mundella School? Ancient buildings, smoky boilers, smelly classrooms, 70s clothes (did we really kick tennis balls around in platform shoes?), 'old school' headmasters, talented teachers, good tuck shops, crap library (the only original building left!), mythical fall-outs with Roland Green and Becket, iffy school dinners, bad habits (Mr Gunn/Mr Clifford spring to mind.....).

Let me know if you remember me!

Pete Stowban

Posted on Wednesday, June 08, 2005 - 08:21 pm:   

With regards to the old purple school reports,does anyone know where mine is.I have looked all around my mums house but cannot find the damn thing anywhere!
The best comment i ever received was from the games teacher who followed Mick Walker(what was his bloody name?)
He wrote "Peter works hard to overcome a lack of natural ability"- why didnt he just save some ink and put"Crap Bastard",which is what he really meant!!
Anyway "Bald Eagle", who be thee.Is it tax reasons that you use this name?
Go forward one and all.
Pete Stowban

BaldEagle

Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 01:27 pm:   

What were the "pop mimes" BaldEagle??

BaldEagle

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 04:35 am:   

So my anonimity is threatened, but by your question alone gives YOU away!!! Kim Dexter, hmm let me think on that one..... No doubt we have a "Bohemian" aquaintance who has no place on this website and who's birthday I remember very well!
Yes I remember the Wollaton Wednesdays similar crowd to the Musketeers, but without the debauchery! (They've knocked the old village hall down now, I think they were pre-empting it falling down) and I do feel it is underhand bringing up Mud, Sparks et Al (Even if "we" did win!!)
Talking about embarassment, has anyone still got there purple school report books? My kids found mine a few weeks back, and now each time I tell them they must work hard at school, they refer me to it... Doh! talk about own goal! A whole history in one little book, damn, have to hide it better. Good job that made no reference to pop mimes, I'd have to leave home!

It is good to see someone else putting fingers to keys and adding to the conversations on the website, it has been very quiet of late, come on if you are reading them add your tuppence worth (You don't have to leave your name so there'll be no legal actions, mind you, people MAY work out who you are - We shall see!)

Who knows ?

Posted on Monday, June 06, 2005 - 12:41 am:   

Muskateers.
I remember that place!
several non-Mundella people went there as well.
'Bald Eagle' how well do you remember Kim Dexter ?
If so, then it can only be one of a couple of people who you can be.
My memories of Mundella fit into so many different areas.
Drinking down at the 'paddling pool' on Trent Bridge. Cider never tasted as good!
Getting the slipper off Mr Hodnett for wearing a Tam 'o'Shanter hat.
Polos in the Physics lessons to take away the taste. Mr Cheritt giving detention for sword fighting with the Yard rules.
Back to Wollaton - remember the Wednesday Disco?
School discos. Seeing Tony Bednall getting caught for drinking in the bike sheds by the Deputy Head!
Pop mimes - too many Gilbert O'Sullivans!
Gary Chandler's excellent Gary Glitter.
Sparks!
Golden Earring!
Mud!
Can you guess who is it yet?

Peter Stowban

Posted on Friday, May 13, 2005 - 06:00 pm:   

Bald Eagle eh?
Yes,sis is Ana still happily annoying Joe Public at Homebase!
As for The Musketeer, they have approached Gary Oldman to play the part Of "Bob",our genial host at Nottinghams version of the Hellfire Club but Gaz has gracefully declined!
Bald Eagle probably describes most of the lads who attended Monkeydella during our hallowed time wihin its walls-so,who might thee be?
Cheers,Pete Stowban.

BaldEagle

Posted on Thursday, May 12, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   

Ah the Musketeers - what a den of iniquity! If ever there was a place ripe for a police raid that was it! Learnt several things in that place, one or two I won't go into for fear of litigation and another was never get pissed on cider, I think the degeneration of brain cells started down there and I haven't touched a drop since! I wonder if the present occupants have any idea of its murky past!!!!
Pete, was your sister (Ann?) working in homebase when it was at Castle Marina? If not there was someone who looked just like her!

Peter Stowban

Posted on Tuesday, May 03, 2005 - 07:38 pm:   

Hello Kev,Rich Blundell,Jamie Kingsland,Dave&John Mitchell,Tony Bednall,Geoff Hicks,Tina Hayes(The one true love of my life!),Alison,Paula,Valerie,Lynsey,Mary,Helen & our version of Carol Vorderman,you know,Muriel,Meryl,Morwenna-the lass who gained about 27 degrees in various subjects!!
Should we be having the reunions at the "Musketeers" at Hillside on Derby Road?
Saw KC on a school quiz on the telly, always knew that lad was destined for stardom!
Go forward one and all!!!
Cheers,Pete Stowban

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page