Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

The Final 5 Years

Mundella School » Mainly for pupils in the 1980s » The Final 5 Years « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Froggyfrog
Username: Froggyfrog

Post Number: 1

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, December 13, 2010 - 03:23 am:   

i'm anthony freeman also known as "tony" i used to go to mundella school befor & after it changed it's name to wilford meadows, can any one remember me?

waynecliff

Posted on Thursday, April 04, 2002 - 07:19 am:   

Hi all, The best years of your life , well unsure about that but some fun times. I was there from 1980-85, I still see and are very good mates with Mark Sunderland and Paul knowles. Any body remember us.

Wayne Cliff..

TERRY ROTHERY

Posted on Wednesday, December 12, 2001 - 04:06 am:   

HI I AM TERRY,AND MY DAD WAS THE HEAD CARETAKER FOR THE SCHOOL FROM 79-85 DO YOU REMEMBER HIM AND THAT MAD DOG WE HAD CALLED BEN.
IF SO GET IN TOUCH.
THANKS T.ROTHERY(JUNOIR)

Henrietta Leeshue

Rating: 
Votes: 1 (Vote!)

Posted on Monday, October 15, 2001 - 04:42 am:   

Hi, me popping up again.

The final years were total and utter ****. Let down on all sides. What did the teachers think they were doing leaving a couple of dozen of kids roaming around a bloody building site?! Couldnt see any educational bench marks being adhered to, could you? If my mother wasnt so strict, I probably wouldnt have bothered going to school sometimes, but dont think any one on the school board wouldve noticed.

Jacqui Carnell

Posted on Monday, September 10, 2001 - 04:04 am:   

I just want to say how disapointed I was on Saturday the 8th sept, that only 5 people from my year went to the school reunion (80-85), and only 1 teacher turned up, Mr Nettleship, shame on the rest of you, you boring lot.
I quite liked the school to our selfs Shaz, more places to hide!lol.
I always remember lining up outside for dinner, and getting into major arguments with gits that pushed in, me and Alan Weatherbed (wetthebed) ended up having a good old scrap once, ended up with us in the Headmasters office, tut tut,
Those were the days eh, NOT!

sharon brown

Posted on Wednesday, September 05, 2001 - 05:41 am:   

haha, i remember miss leak..i used to really hate miss windsor...she was such a cow when she wanted to be..well i was in the final year at mundella,bit spooky there was just us and the big rooms with the massive ceilings..but those good old radiators kept many of us warm on cold days..we all made a run for those!!i remember mrs bell sending me home(3miles)to get "correct uniform on"she said to set an example..but who to?????there was no-one else there!!oh well that was mrs bell for you!

Anonymous

Posted on Monday, September 03, 2001 - 05:11 am:   

There is a school reunion at Casa ( used to be The Avairy ) on Saturday the 8th September, 7:30 start 70s and 80s pupils welcome

Margaret Astill

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 03:19 am:   

That's really interesting, I often wondered how the "end" came as we did not live in Nottm at that time. I have been and looked at the houses and had a walk round the hockey field etc. I can remember going in the "Mem Gardens" in the dinner hour, and also buying a cup of tea at the Kiosk on the Embankment. A cup of tea! Wow.

Melanie Howarth

Posted on Saturday, August 11, 2001 - 03:16 am:   

I started there in Sept 1981, and by the end of that school year, it was already being proposed that one of the three schools in the area be closed down; the other two being Roland Green and Beckett. Beckett was safe because it was the only Catholic school for miles around. The combination of Roland Green being a bigger newer site, and Mundella being on a prime 'luxury housing overlooking the embankment' spot meant that we lost. The PTA got a petition up, and we all walked around with 'Save Our School' stickers on, but by the start of 1983 it was a done deal. Roland Green was re-named Wilford Meadows, and it was decided that the 1st and 2nd (me) years would all be amalgamated with the equivalent Roland Greeners over at that site, and the 3rd and 4th years would carry on going to the Mundella site until they eventually left in June 1985. I lived on Wilford Crescent, and it was a real pain getting across to the place once British Rail pulled down the old train bridge (you must remember either being part of, or at least hearing about the stand offs between the two schools at home time on that bridge). Bits of the building were used/stripped of assets for about another year, and the art annex and tennis courts were sold to some wing of the council. But, as the photos show, the whole lot was knocked flat sometime in 1987. Surprise - they sold the land off to someone like Barrette Homes, who built about 70 minutely small, overly priced, YUPPIE box houses - a few of us talked some older family members into taking us on viewings of the show houses. More of the Mundella teachers kept their jobs, but most of them had left within a couple of years, because there were just SO MANY of us - we were regularly sharing 3 to a desk in classes of 40. On the bad side, we ended up with a really rubbish and plain blue/grey uniform, and the art block (particularly the woodwork and metalwork area) was tiny and almost useless. But on the good side, it was the only school at the time to have a computer lab - and that's what I do for a living now, and also the Headmaster and Deputy were both mad and there was no more Miss Leak (I still want to dance on her grave!)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page