Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Sent to Coventry 1947/48?

Mundella School » Mainly for pre 1950 pupils » Sent to Coventry 1947/48? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

Howard Blackie Williams

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, April 23, 2005 - 10:59 am:   

Hi Robert White

I was a late arrival to Mundella and I can blame you for my nickname of Blackie(which incidentally is still with me after all these years. You and I were sat together on a bench for school dinner. The others were trying to decide whta they would call the new boy. I had a mop of black hair(then). You were already called whitey so they settled on blackie for me.

One question for you. Your middle name begins with an H you used to tell us it was a name descended through the family from a notorious person. Tell me now was it true or just your joke.

Lovely to hear from you Blackie W

Barrie Truman

Posted on Monday, April 11, 2005 - 12:28 am:   

Robert Nice to see your message. I haven't come across many other old Mundellans from our years, I was beginning to feel that none of them ever looked at this site.

Robert White

Posted on Sunday, March 13, 2005 - 03:53 am:   

to Barrie Trueman Re your message of April first 2004 THE R WHITE signature on the 1949 JUBILEE ANNUAL would be mine

Barrie Truman

Posted on Friday, April 02, 2004 - 01:09 am:   

I don't remember Howard Blackie but I do have a copy of a 1949 Jubilee Annual. On the back page are some signatures and one of these is R White. Could this be Robert White the writer of the previous message ? I was at Mundella from 1947-1953 but my memory of those days is very sketchy.

ROBERT WHITE

Posted on Tuesday, March 30, 2004 - 09:09 pm:   

I REMEMBER HOWARD BLACKIE WILLIAMS AND WENT TO HIS BIG HOUSE FOR WHAT MUST HAVE BEEN A PARTY I ALSO REMEMBER KAY KOWLAM WHO HAD HER PIGTAIL CUT OFF CIRCA 1947 I ALSO REMEMBER SHEILA ROBINSON ROBERT WHITE

Sheila Robinson

Posted on Thursday, February 26, 2004 - 01:04 am:   

Hello Howard (or should I say “G’day”?)

I think the girl you are remembering is Kay Cowlam, or should I say, was? She was a friend of mine at school but we lost touch as soon as we left. However, I bumped into her in Nottingham when I was around 18 and she was getting married on that Saturday, and invited me along. Sadly, we lost touch , once again, but she married a professional footballer, I remember.

Perhaps, if I tell you that I sang solo at the Albert Hall on speechdays, on two occasions (“Bless This House” and “Where’ere You Walk”)that may well jog your memory. I was only a tiny little thing (not much bigger now – and shrinking!) and my mother told me that the first time I sang there she heard someone behind her on the balcony ask, “Where is she?”

It’s nice to know that you’re still going strong and, I hope, keeping in good health.

Best wishes, Sheila

Howard Blackie Williams

Posted on Wednesday, February 25, 2004 - 06:05 am:   

Hi Sheila Robinson,

Yes Howard (Blackie)Williams is one and the same. I always had a birthday party with plenty of games. I lived in the big house, turned into offices, in Sherwood later demolished for shops. I have some difficulty in remembering you, always bad at names. Were you the girl with the single long plait who lived near Mundella? Sorry if I got that wrong.

Margo

Posted on Tuesday, January 13, 2004 - 07:22 pm:   

See Bryan Todd's email re black bras in "General Chat"

Sheila Robinson

Posted on Sunday, January 11, 2004 - 01:17 am:   

Dear Pat

Thanks for confirming that I haven’t yet begun to confuse dreams with reality!

However, when I first remembered the incident I found it so utterly bizarre that it didn’t seem to have any base in the truth – perhaps because times have changed so much in the past 50 odd years. It certainly would not happen these days, unless the teacher in question wanted a quick end to a promising career.

I am sorry to say that I can’t remember you, Pat, but please don’t be offended, I don’t remember anyone from other years at all.

Best wishes, Sheila

Pat Gillette Curtis

Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2004 - 04:20 am:   

Sheila, you did not dream the 'black bras' incident - and I remember seeing the young ladies around before the sending to 'Coventry' - I'm sure this could have been handled in a more diplomatic manner! I doubt anyone nowadays would consider the color of a bra worth a mention!

I was a year ahead of you, and I remember you, so I must have been impressed despite your considerations!

Sheila Robinson

Posted on Thursday, January 08, 2004 - 04:47 am:   

I’ve been going to post this for some time now but it is such a weird event that, sometimes, I think I must have dreamed it.

I started at Mundella in September 1947 and I think the event took place , either sometime during that first year, or no later than the second.

It began when Mr Calder announced, one morning at Assembly that he was sending two girls to Coventry. Never having heard that phrase before, I can remember taking it quite literally at first, before realising that it was an English expression. He went on to say that no-one was to speak to these two friends at any time, otherwise they would be punished.

The two girls in question had taken to wearing black ‘bras’, which were quite evident under their cream blouses and, I think, that their parents were refusing to change this. (Quite shocking in those days!!!)

I can remember these poor girls walking around the outside of the building at breaktimes and lunchtime on that first day, with every one of us staring. The same thing happened the next day, but I can’t recall seeing them at school any more after that.

We all have strange dreams, but I feel sure this is not one of mine. Please, does anyone remember this event?

I’ve just read a posting from Howard (Blackie) Williams and I well remember being invited to the birthday party of Howard Williams one year. Are you the same one? (I can’t believe there were two). I can’t recall much about it, but I do remember your mother organised some game where we had to act out something (can’t remember what, exactly) but I do recall having to play my part with an American accent.

My name was Sheila Robinson, an unimpressive, middle-of-the-road pupil, but I did have a lovely singing voice at that age and sang solo a couple of times at the Albert Hall on Speech Day.

Which reminds me, does anyone remember being taken by coach to Loughborough every Easter (By Mr Hart) who handpicked the best singers from school to sing at his local church? I used to really enjoy the occasion.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page