Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

David Measham

Mundella School » Mainly for pre 1950 pupils » David Measham « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

A_turner
Username: A_turner

Post Number: 2

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Saturday, May 15, 2010 - 01:46 am:   

Are there many other survivors out there from Form 4AE, 1941?

Pat Curtis

Posted on Friday, January 06, 2006 - 07:53 am:   

A little belated, but here it is! In September, 2005, a reunion took place of half-a-dozen of the 1946/51 group. Through this site, we had gradually connected up - one knew where someone else was .... and the ball just rolled. We all gathered in the Cotswolds where my husband and myself were vacationing from the States. With spouses were Marian (Daniels) Birch, Alan Dowlman, Brian Moult, Pete Calvert, Tim Goodliffe and myself, Pat (Gillette) Curtis. Alan Boaler was not able to be there, unfortunately. Old photos and memorabilia were passed around, many school tales and memories were exchanged and for a few hours our spouses finally knew of the things we got up to at school.

If you recognize any of the above names and would like to be put in touch, let me know.

Gerontius

Posted on Saturday, December 31, 2005 - 01:51 pm:   

Happy,Peaceful and Joyfuland Healthy New Year to all Mundella pupils and your nearest and dearest. Now, before this wonderful site becomes Dodo like as with the school buildings,-please a few suggestions to revitalise it. From a personal viewpoint,I enjoyed reading the life histories on the old Europrima site. What do all the rest of you think? Or has Tony`s cronies wiped out your ability to think and act? Let us start at the top of theHonours Board and hear from everyone. come on shake yourselves.

margo

Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 12:23 am:   

testing

Philip Adams

Posted on Thursday, March 03, 2005 - 02:35 am:   

I am very sorry to hear of the death of David Measham.He was a popular boy known for his sense of humour.I remember his father bringing a large
HOVIS demonstation van to Mundella one day which was very well received by the staff.I also note
previous posts acknowledging the help David received from R.B.Calder. Philip Adams.

Margaret Astill

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 02:02 pm:   

I am hoping that the Nottingham Evening Post will publish something about this famous "son of Nottingham". As soon as I find out that they have , we shall either copy and paste it or put up a link. If anyone else spots it first, please let me know, as I'm not sure how much of the paper is on-line.

Margaret Astill

Posted on Saturday, February 26, 2005 - 01:58 pm:   

In tune with the masses
By BRADEN QUARTERMAINE
13 February 2005

DAVID MICHAEL LUCIAN MEASHAM
BORN: December 1, 1937
DIED: February 6, 2005

FORMER chief conductor of the WA Symphony Orchestra David Measham is credited with bringing classical music to the average person in Perth.

An icon in the music industry, he was a valued friend and associate to musicians throughout Australia.

Known as a man of the people, the highly regarded musician was WASO's chief conductor from 1975-1981.

His renowned Prom concerts attracted huge crowds to the Perth Entertainment Centre.

In 1975, he instigated the inaugural indoor season of three Promenade Concerts as part of the Festival of Perth.

The concept modelled on the famous London Proms held in Royal Albert Hall was an outstanding success. Audiences grew until, in 1980, 19,000 people attended the three concerts.

Writing in "In Perth, the atmosphere is no less electrifying than at the London Proms," he wrote.

Born in Nottingham, England, in 1937, Mr Measham was the only son of Joan and Lester Measham.

Previously a violinist with the London Symphony Orchestra, he moved to Perth in 1971.

He began at WASO as resident conductor and after his reign as chief conductor became principal guest conductor.

He was also a valued member of the Claremont Yacht Club.

Marcia Harrison, author of West Australian Symphony Orchestra: Celebrating 75 Years, said Mr Measham dedicated his conducting career to bridging the gap in music.

"He had a vision he took the music out to the people," she said.

"David started a new trend. People who hadn't heard classical music found they liked it they stopped and listened in the shopping centres.

"As a result of that he had a dream that Perth might put on proms, and the people there ranged from grandmas to teenagers.

"He was an imposing figure with a dynamic personality and this endeared him to the audience.

"To bring classical music to people who had never considered listening to it that was something quite brave to do."

David Freemantle

Posted on Wednesday, February 23, 2005 - 12:46 am:   

The death has occurred of David Measham, who attended Mundella in the late 40s and early 50s.
'Lou' Measham as he was generally known, was an outstanding violinist, and eventually progressed to become principal 2nd violin with the London Symphony Orchestra. Whilst there, as well as a prodigious Classical output, he collaborated on albums by several rock artists, including Rick Wakeman, The Who and Neil Young. He also recorded with the American avant-garde jazz saxophone player, Ornette Coleman.
In 1971 he emigrated to Western Australia, where he helped to make Classical Music more popular there than it had ever been.
David Michael Lucian Measham died on February 6th 2005, aged 67

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page