Support your website by clicking thro' this banner when you buy books, CDs, DVDs etc

Topics Topics Edit Profile Profile Help/Instructions Help    
Search Last 1|3|7 Days Search Search Tree View Tree View  

Where were you when Mundella reached ...

Mundella School » Mainly for pre 1950 pupils » Where were you when Mundella reached its century? « Previous Next »

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message

A

Rating: N/A
Votes: 0 (Vote!)

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 04:00 am:   

Hello.
My name is Victoria Lane i was at mundella 1977-82.
my e-mail has changed to v.dunne@ntlworld.com

Rose Cockcroft

Posted on Tuesday, January 28, 2003 - 03:35 am:   

I am trying to find Vivien Thornton, Ann Cox, known as Gabby, Kathleen ? Sharpe. I went to Mundella in 1951 but these girls were a couple of years older than me. My name was Rose Pugh, unlike the rest of you I don't have happy memories of Mundella. But it would be great to hear if any of you remember these ones.

Christine Lawnee Jennings

Posted on Saturday, May 18, 2002 - 06:26 am:   

Hello to anyone who can remember us - Christine Jennings and Robert(Spud)Taylor.
We attended Mundella from 1949 - 1954.
I think we were in the "G" class.
We can remember Janet Swingler,Pat Bosworth, Ann Stott, Margaret Watson,Pamela Clegg - we are in contact with Pat Roebuck via the Mundella Website.
I live in Lowestoft,Suffolk and Robert lives in Boston, Lincs.We went out together when we were at school but we married someone else and are now in contact again after 46years.
We would like to hear from anyone who remembers us

Pat Gillette

Posted on Wednesday, October 03, 2001 - 10:35 pm:   

Dear Jim: I remember you very well! I have responded to your e-mail address, but I want to mention broadly that I find it very rewarding (and exciting) to hear from my schoolmates and how they are doing in life. In fact, I'm also hearing from a number of Mundellans from across the planet I have never met and exchanged histories and viewpoints.

I hope this will encourage others who may have lost touch and especially our mutual friends in the 1946-51 era.

Pat

Jim Wilson

Posted on Tuesday, October 02, 2001 - 02:15 am:   

Hello there to Pat Gillette
I was inthe M class from 1946 to 1951 and was a particular friend of John Cave as we lived not too far from each other in Lenton. In 1951 I remember we went with a School trip to the South Bank Exhibition.
I am Jim Wilson and now live in Leicester after wandering around with the Inland Revenue from Nottingham to East Africa then after a brief spell back in Nottingham off to Boston (Lincs), Leeds, London before returning to the East Midlands in 1984.
I retired in 1993 and am now deeply involved in the administration of Bowls (Level Green) Indoors and Outdoors.
I have 2 of the panoramic photos taken while at School.
My family may be unique in that starting with my brother Walt who was at Mundella from 1941 to 1945. He was followed by my sisters Mary, Betty and Helen. After me was my brother Bob and finally another sister Sheila. So all 7 of us went from Lenton Council Juniors to the Grammar school. Quite an achievement I think.
If anyone remembers me - there are some names already listed that are quite familiar - and you wish to get in touch, I can be contacted at cynjim@appleonline.net

David Pearson

Posted on Monday, October 01, 2001 - 03:37 am:   

To Pat Gillette

I can't let yours 08 Aug go without referring back to Pauline Moult, a name which twangs my heartstrings - my friends used to call her "Fringe Features" for fairly obvious reasons. She was a v.slim, twinkly blue-eyed blonde who, despite her slight build, wielded a mean tennis racquet against me on Lenton Church's clay court.
We had a romantic relationship which I tried later to renew but she and her family had disappeared from Lenton to God knows where.
As a v. happily married old man, I shouldn't be posting this but isn't that what schooldays in a mixed-sex school were at least partially about?
Incidentally, Alan Brown used to come to the Old Mundellan Football Club Re-Unions until fairly recently. Continued best wishes to you and all.

Tony Kirkman

Posted on Friday, September 21, 2001 - 12:43 am:   

My sister June Kirkman was at Mundella from 1950 until 1957. She now lives in Bristol. She isn't connected to the internet but I can put you in touch if you would like to contact her.

Tony Kirkman
(1956 to 1963)

Gordon Pidcock

Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2001 - 05:23 pm:   

Attended Mundella from 1945 to 1947 when the family moved to Selston and I was transferred to Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School Mansfield, (My elder bother David also attended Mundella from 1944 to 1947).
Two of my Mothers brothers, (our uncles, Leonard and George Ashworth), fell in the Great War, and their names are recorded on the War Memorial once displayed in the Hall,(I look forward to the re-dedication of this historical piece later this year), we felt quite strongly that we were continuing the family tradition.
I do feel a great debt of gratitude to Frank Ordoyno, who first unlocked the mysteries of manthematics for me, this was to be the start of a successful career in Engineering. Dorothy Crossley also managed to turn me into one who could resonably command the language, both written and spoken,and this also was an element thatI believe, allowed one to progress.
I served an Engineering Apprenticeship with the Ministry of Supply at Royal Ordnance Factory Nottingham and then went to sea as an Engineer Officer, I served with Blue Funnel line on passenger /Cargo vessels on the Far East service, and attained promotion to Certificated, (Second) Engineer in 5 years.
My next move took me into the NHS as a an Assistant Hospital Engineer, (at Balderton Hospital, Newark), and I pursued a career, moving several times until I was appointed Director of Estates to Leicestershire Health Authority.
I retired from this post, (re-organisation of the NHS into the "Purchaser Provider" style,made my post redundant) at the age of 55, and worked for another 5 years as a Consulting Engineer, when I finally retired from regular work at age 60.
My wife, Marion, (who valiantly suported me through all the trauma of moving around engendered by my career, whilst managing her own work), and I, have one son who is a Criminal Law Barrister pactising in London.
Our lives have come full circle since we chose to live our retirement years in Coddington, only a short distance from were my NHS career started at Balderton Hospital.
I have found the site very interesting and will make sure my big brother, David, has the opportunity to see it, (he is unfortunately a tecnical Luddite!!, I have only recently persuaded him to have an answering machine!!)

David and Gordon Pidcock

Janet Mary Cottee

Posted on Friday, September 07, 2001 - 12:24 am:   

Any one remember Janet Swingler 1949 to 1955 plus three sisters (Ruth, Eleanor and Philippa) I have recently been contacted by Janice Payne (Anderson) who has managed to get 13 souls together from 5 M query 1954.

David Robinson

Posted on Sunday, August 12, 2001 - 05:40 am:   

Hello Pat, and any other pre-1950 Mundellans. I have already given some info on the original board. I think that the effort by our Webms. is superb: more power to them. I have been in contact with a few of my peers - oldies all by now, since we `enjoyed` our incarceration at Mundella during the war years - from early 1943ish to 1948 I think.
I was evacuated from Bristol in `42. I have every reason to thank Barton Hart, Polly Plunkett, Dolly Onions, `Pinky` Wight, R.E.Gibbs (splinters) and that poseur Ken Reynolds, not forgetting Fanny Blagg and of course our old head R.B. Calder. My bro Peter who was with me in the same year, but in a different form, recalls that RBC gave the whole school a talk on `equality`, and explained that that was why he had changed the old Form 1,2,3,4, or A,B,C,D format to M,S,G,F. I s`pose that was one of the first of the new reforms. Never understood it myself.
I have had a great working life,for which I thank Mundella for giving me a well-rounded education. I started firstly as a chemical engineer and shift chemist at Stanton, then graduated into control systems engineering which profession took me to most countries in the world, both in the free part and also behind the Curtain, commissioning refineries, petro-chem plants and the like. We are now retired here in Sussex-by-sea, have one son and two beautiful granddaughters and are enjoying hobbies like Italian motorbikes, pubbing (not at the same Time) and travelling o`seas, mostly to New England.
Bye for the nonce, David Robinson

Pat Gillette Curtis

Posted on Thursday, August 09, 2001 - 02:31 am:   

Hello all those Mundellans prior to 1950! Seems as though I am the first to enter this hallowed ground! I was around from 1946 through to 51, entering 1S with Mrs. Williams and then through the 'M' line through GCE and then for a short time in 6 Commercial.

I remember many names in my year, among them Margaret Slack, Pamela Gell, Maureen Scott, Pauline Moult, Irene Howe, Aileen Brown, Jill Shelbourne, Muriel Lacey, Gloria Sandell, June Shaw, Barbara Yarnell, Sheila O'Connor, Connie Brown, Ann Davis - not forgetting the guys - John Lakin, John Cave, Brian Moult, Terence Graham (our hero who rescued a youngster from drowning), Barry Morris, Alan Brown, Alan Boaler and many others in parallel forms and other years.

Miss Plunkett introduced us all to the joys of Arithmetic, Algebra and Geometry, English Lit. and Lang., while 'Schoee' Schofield nurtured us up the school as our form teacher.

We were so proud to be part of the Jubilee year celebrations and wondered where we would all be
for the Centenary when we would all be 64.

Where were YOU?

As you check in, let's enjoy each other's stories - what you have done and achieved over the years and where you are now.

I will start the ball rolling - I have been living in California with my family (husband, two daughters) for the past 21 years. With gratitude to Barton Hart, I spent several years after leaving school with the Nottingham Opera Club in various chorus roles as a gypsy, village maiden, nun (!) Career-wise I taught commercial subjects for a while and now I'm involved in counselling services, which is most rewarding.

So, who will be next to join me?

Best wishes, wherever you are on the planet!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Action:

Administration Administration Log Out Log Out   Previous Page Previous Page Next Page Next Page